So, I kind of missed posting on Valentine's Day, but it was for good reasons. I thought it fitting that this was the "Quote of the Day"....The purpose of life is a life of purpose. ~Robert Byrne
I ended up having to work yesterday, since there was an ill call (so much for the "deal" I made, but looking at the bright side, I didn't have to use any PTO...). I wasn't QUITE as crazy as I was on Wednesday, but still pretty busy. Our Pediatric ICU has been completely full with very sick kids for a long time...which makes it a little tough when the kids on my floor start requiring more intensive care, because there isn't really room for them to go...so, we have had to end up "watching" and "hoping" (and I definitely do a bit of "praying"!) that they stabilize. I had one of those kids the past two days, and they ended up being able to "fix" one of the "super-sick" kids enough to swap places with my patient. Probably not ideal, but it worked, and we have excellent nurses and adequate staffing on my floor to handle many "step-down-type" patients. :o)
Anyway, someone made Valentine's Day boxes for each of the kids. Students from a school made valentines, so all the boxes had quite a few. Then, some of the patients went around and put valentines in the boxes. There were extra valentines that nurses could sign too. I put valentine's in all of my patient's boxes, but that was pretty much it. One nurse got chocolate-covered strawberries sent to her. I didn't see any flowers yesterday, but another nurse got some on Wednesday.
I'm single ("Just Me" has a couple of meanings!), and my usual dinner partners (my parents!) were out with friends (go figure!). So, I took a chance and called a patient's mom to see if I could bring her dinner. I had a gift card from Applebee's and was planning to get myself dinner anyway. I was THRILLED that she said yes!! I stayed and visited with her until nearly 11:00. We had a very nice conversation. She is a very sweet and caring person, and I enjoy being in her presence. She has taught me so much, and could possibly be even more of an emotional person than me, with a heart of gold, so we get along great! :o) Unfortunately, her baby remains quite ill at this time.
During our "chat", I discovered, once again, that the "struggles" I disclosed in my previous post were completely unwarranted. Much like the struggle I wrote about in the post I linked to, I should have just "let it go" and realize that I was being ridiculous. I was tempted to go back and erase that part of my last entry, but decided that that was what I was feeling at the time, so I should leave it (even though I'm "over it" and hope I remember last night if those feelings try to creep back in!). It was a fabulous Valentine's Day for me, and I told her multiple times how blessed I felt that she allowed me to come spend the evening with her.
I'm almost all the way packed for my vacation. I have to work tomorrow, so I needed to get packed today. I did go work out, and did some "picking up" around my house. I actually cleaned my bathroom, and put away a few things (of course, much of the "clutter" that was in my living room, just moved to a box in my office...I'll start trying to tackle that stuff when I get back from vacation!). I went and saw 27 Dresses with a girlfriend. We were going to go to a movie yesterday, but then I had to work. Working obviously ended up being a blessing in disguise, as I had a WONDERFUL evening last night, and still was able to have fun with my friend today!
I have some cards I want to send tomorrow, so I should close this now. Back to work in the morning...I got up earlier than usual and didn't take a nap, so getting up will be challenging!
No comments:
Post a Comment