Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Just as Hard

Six months ago tonight, I brought the girls back home to be reunited with their family. I didn't have any idea what "reunification" was going to look like. I had no idea that just when I needed it most, I would get a letter from the teen telling me how much she appreciated what I had done for her and her sister during their 16 months here.

Unfortunately, I feel like I have more tears in my eyes (or just as many) tonight as I did six months ago. All this stuff that is going on with the teen hurts my heart so much. The letter I got nearly a week ago reminding me how much she appreciates my role in her life was such a blessing, but it does make her sadness sting even more. She ended up staying Monday night as well since she forgot her bus money (so, she stayed Monday night, Tuesday night, and then Friday night through Monday night).

Her going home on Tuesday was what needed to happen, but it was hard for both of us (I'm pretty sure I've cried, or at least teared up, every day since then). Today when I talked to her about being "ok" at home, her response was "well, it has to be"...and she's right. I want so badly for things to be better for her. I know that I've made a tremendous impact on her life already, but there is so much more that needs to be done to get her where she wants to go (my biggest concern is her having to change schools for her Senior year).

I went to an all day training for foster parents and others who work with foster children/biological parents. It was really good and when it was over, I talked to another foster parent for quite some time. She recommended I talk to the teen's mom about doing something more like a "power of attorney" rather than "legal guardianship" so the teen could stay here during the week (or all the time?) and I could consent for medical treatment/educational needs when needed. I'm not sure if it would be possible or if her mom would agree to it (or even how to talk to her mom about something like that...she is really hard to talk to sometimes!) I emailed the therapist because, even though it could be seen as "meddling", I really think she is the only one who can help us sort through the feelings and come up with a solution.


October 2011


January 2012


March 2012

Even though I know I'll get to see them, in some ways, it's just as hard as it was 6 months ago...in some ways, it is even harder.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails