If you haven't seen any of my tweets or updates on fb, my new nephew has been having a rough time. He has spent over half his life in the hospital and probably 75% of his life under phototherapy lights to try to bring down his bilirubin (I think he had two types of jaundice--early and then late/breast milk jaundice). This past Sunday, he was admitted to a local NICU after having a fever of 101 at home (102 in the ER). Since he is so young, they have to rule out all types of infections, so he had a spinal tap, blood cultures, and a urine culture taken by a catheter. I believe he has been stuck with a needle every day since he's been born...poor little guy. For my sister and brother-in-law who are highly anxious people, they are handling this all remarkably well. After a little encouragement from my mom, I went to the ER on Sunday even though I had a really crappy and long day at work and had to go back on Monday for another crappy long day. I'm glad I went, though, so I could reassure them that the nurses and doctors were doing everything they should be doing (and he does, in fact, have really bad veins which is why it took multiple attempts to get an IV and his labs drawn). I went and visited yesterday since I was off and today I watched my other nephew during his nap so my mom could go get her hair done. Hopefully he will get out of the hospital tomorrow and they can get some sort of a routine. My poor sister has been "sleeping" in a recliner all week.
I worked an extra shift last week and was scheduled to work an extra one today, but luckily didn't have to. We have been crazy busy and my "best" (maybe only) work friend put in her notice yesterday. Another nurse put in her notice last week and rumor has it there are probably at least two more. So, I think it's probably good that I don't have a new foster placement right now. From the sounds of it, we will be working extra shifts for a while (some mandatory, some voluntary). I guess that's one way to help pay for my vacations :)
I did have Saturday off which was really nice. I picked up the girls a little after 1:00 and we went to my sister's so they could see the baby (he actually wasn't under the lights that day, so the little one kind of held him). The girls and I went with my mom and first nephew to the park. The little one was her usual stand-offish self for a while and then decided that playing with my nephew was ok, especially now that he can talk a lot (he turned one her first month living with me!)
After the park, we went Downtown to feed the ducks...I have no idea how many times we have done that, but it's really fun! This time it was challenging because it was really windy and the bread kept flying back at us, but it makes for a fun memory.
I got us Chinese for dinner before we went to a musical at the children's theater. My friend's daughter came with us. I have a membership, so we have gotten to go to a lot of shows in the nearly two years that I have known the girls. I think they will be even more fun as the little one gets older and understands more. She had just turned three when we went to our first one and now she is 4 1/2. Hopefully it continues to work that her mom lets them come with me to the shows.
I got stopped for speeding after I dropped off the girls and my friend's daughter. That was my first time ever and I'm feeling lucky I got away with a written warning. It was St. Patrick's Day, so maybe he was just making sure I hadn't been drinking. I was right by my friend's house and I don't go to that area of town very often. Apparently, the main street near her house has a speed limit of 35 which seems crazy. I was going 46...oops.
The teen missed her bus(es) on Monday since she was talking to a teacher. So, she ended up at my house for the night. Then, she decided to stay again last night. There weren't any tears this week, so maybe the extra time with me is helping (she spend three nights here last week plus we were together all day on Saturday). She agreed to therapy if she could go back to her previous therapist. I told her she may have to do all the scheduling and communication on her own and just get her mom to give consent. (I said she may have to do the same for her dentist, eye doctor, regular doctor since her mom hasn't taken the kids to any appointments since they've been home.) She contacted the therapist today and I'm so proud of her. I'm hoping that the therapist can help her communicate with her mom. I don't feel like I'm in a position to help with that since I'm "technically" on her mom's "side"...and yet I know it isn't easy to communicate with her mom. She filled out a couple job applications because I said maybe her mom will let her stay at her current school if she offers to pay for it. She has admitted that her grades slipped in part due to her extra socializing during classes and told me she is doing better with that.
The teachers had a staff meeting this morning, so she didn't start class until 9:00. Since I didn't have to work, we went out to breakfast. She and I ordered the same thing--French toast, scrambled eggs, and hash browns and she got sausage, I got bacon. Last night, she was brainstorming for a topic for her persuasive speech that's next week. I gave her a couple of ideas that she had already thought of. I love that I know her so well and that we really are alike in a lot of ways. I think I actually said something to the effect of "you really ARE my daughter" (or a lot like me) during breakfast this morning and all I got was a smile...and another comment from me saying that is "supposed" to be a good thing ;)
It was weird not having her here tonight even though it isn't like she's been here every night. Maybe it is because I didn't have any evening plans or shows to watch and wasn't busy at work all day. I managed to get a few things done (including writing a blog post-yay!) I don't know when she'll be back. During breakfast, I asked if she wanted to make some kind of schedule or if she liked this "randomness". She said she liked the "random" and she has a copy of my schedule to help her planning. I just told her to keep me posted on her plans and make sure her mom is on board with them.
So, that's what's been going on this week. Hopefully I'll have time to write before another week goes by!
Good night.


No comments:
Post a Comment