With all that talking about being a foster mom, I shouldn't have been surprised that there was a voice mail on my cell phone when I got off work about a potential placement.
The caseworker called shortly before I got off, so I knew I had some time to think (at least the drive home!) I decided to call my sister instead of my parents and I'm really glad that I did that (I'm not sure why I did...I guess I went with my gut and it was right!) She actually had some REALLY good insight :)
The story is that this little one has a family who is planning to adopt him. However, the termination of parental rights will not happen until early summer. For some reason, he needs to be in my county and not in the county where the adoptive parents live. My agency would prefer the child stay within their agency (maybe this family just moved? I'm not sure and I guess it doesn't really matter that much.)
My sister made a good point that a 2 1/2 year old boy would keep me very busy. However, there is a (supposed) "end date"...and the "plan" is that he will leave here for an adoptive placement. Also, they said that he would go to the adoptive parents' home on weekends. Another good point from someone on twitter is that this is SO different than the girls' case that there is no competition/comparison.
My issue with saying "definitely yes" is that this week is super busy. I have tomorrow off, but am bringing the teen to a job fair. I work Wednesday and Thursday. Friday I made plans to bring both girls to a show at the children's theater. Saturday, I am meeting about my taxes, getting my hair colored, and going to a fundraiser at my high school alma mater where the teen will be volunteering. After that, I'm off Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
So, I said that if he could wait to be moved until Sunday, I'd take him. They were going to continue to look for someone who could take him sooner and let me know tomorrow what is decided. I feel badly that this kid would be going back in forth and my schedule is anything but "normal" so he'll have lots of time at day care during the week which stinks, but it does seem like it would be a good "second placement".
If it is to be, it will be, and I'll find out tomorrow. I'll post an update when I have time/information :)
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment