Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Manipulation

Up until today, my feelings about what happened with the teen have mostly been sadness/frustration that I can't talk to her to find out what happened. Today, though, I was given a different perspective by a co-worker who happens to have adopted four kids from foster care, at least three of which had drug/alcohol exposure. When I told her the story, she immediately said "wow, that teenager PLAYED you"...

I guess maybe I just didn't want to believe that the teen would do that to me/her mom, but in reality, that is how it appears. (Of course it would also be nice to hear what she was thinking in all this...but, she IS a teenager, so she maybe wasn't thinking at all, unfortunately.) She used my trust in her (and my love for her) to withhold information from her mom and that is not at all "cool" with me. My co-worker encouraged me to call her mom and apologize profusely and do what I can to convince her that I really am on her side in this. She had me put myself in her shoes and how scared her mom must be not knowing where her daughter was or who she was with when she thought she was with me. I agree that her mom has every right to be angry...I'd be concerned if she WASN'T angry. However, I don't think that being angry at me and "cutting me off" is the best way to handle it.

So, I called and left a message since she didn't answer. It was a long shaky-voiced message, but hopefully she believed my sincerity. I told her that I do not advocate for lying or sneaking around and really had no idea that was what was happening. She did not call me back, so I am going to try again tomorrow. I'm not sure what I'll do if/when she doesn't answer tomorrow, but I work the three days after that, so will at least wait those days and see what happens. I really don't think anything can be resolved unless we talk about what happened and where we go from here. Hopefully the two of them agree.

In the mean time, I am thankful for the amazing support I have (including my therapist who saw me tonight after I called her on Monday and said we really needed to talk).

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails