Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Life Changes, Gratitude Does Not

In the morning, I will head 22 miles west to a retreat center for the third November in a row. A lot has changed the past two years. I linked to my post from that first retreat a couple days ago in this post. I don't recall everything that was going on in my life at that time, but from the tone of my post, it was kind of a sad time, or at least a time of transition. That day gave me an opportunity to release pent-up emotions that I obviously needed. Last year, I was in a different place emotionally, but still got emotional thinking about all the things I was grateful for. I was given some wonderful personal prayer times away from the distractions at home and work. I am looking forward to finding out what God has in store for me at this retreat. I'm thinking I should leave my cell phone in my car because I have grown quite attached to my phone and checking email, facebook, twitter, and sending texts and updating statuses that it might just be too tempting if it is close. It ONLY goes from 8:30-3, so any "emergencies" should be able to wait, right?!

"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way."~Native American prayer
________________________
This morning, I randomly found myself feeling sad that I didn't have Ginger take any pictures with me in them--not alone, not with my sister, not with my sister, none. I don't know why that thought never crossed my mind in the four days she was here, but it didn't. It is what it is, though, and I DO have four "snap shots", and many memories that film couldn't have captured anyway...and for that, I am grateful.

I took care of a really sick baby with a respiratory infection yesterday. Today, that baby was doing MUCH better. I confronted a med student about "meddling" in the care I was trying to give my patient. I am grateful that I have become confident enough in my nursing and skills to be able to "confront" someone like that instead of letting it fester. (I am also grateful to take care of a kid who may never have to come to the hospital again and won't remember this visit.)

I got a box with all the jewelry that was ordered from my party. I can't believe I haven't sorted through it all yet to find my new jewelry! I am grateful that so many of my friends/family were able to come and that I was able to get some gifts for free :o)

The 9-month-old daughter of my sister's best friend from high school had her third heart surgery today. She just posted on her fb page that the surgery went great. I am grateful.

A good friend at work lost her father-in-law today after only being in hospice about a week. I am grateful to be in a position to say if that if she needs ANYTHING, to let me know, and mean it. I am grateful that all four of my grandparents are still living and are very important people in my life.

I have a warm bed waiting for me on this cool November night. I am grateful for that, and should head there shortly!
Good night.


2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Maybe Ginger took pictures of you alone without you realizing it?

The Pittsburgh Hites said...

I took a few, Amanda was my "test" subject while I was fiddling with my lighting. The sad part is, most of the times my camera was "out" I was doing my sessions, and then we were too busy talking and wandering to stop and pull it out again!!
We'll have to see what I come up with when I'm done editing
;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails