Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Monday, November 9, 2009

I Was (Am) Here

So...I re-read my post from last night and it was like reading "code" or something...it was "scattered" to say the least! There is so much more I want to try to put into words since I DO believe I should be able to express things more clearly, but, once again it is too late to start any type of "aha" post.

Instead, I guess I will post some words that DO make sense and really spoke to me (okay, so I cried when I heard them...what can I say, Saturday was an emotional day?!) Ginger left the room to do something and gave me her headphones to listen to this song while she was gone (don't think she knew I'd be bawling when she returned!). (She also had me listen to a Lady Antebellum song on the train in Chicago that was great as well...very excited to use the iTunes gift card I got for my birthday!) Again, I may not have the words to explain exactly why my emotions went haywire and the tears flowed freely, but I do believe that "I am here"...touching people's lives and being touched by them too.


I Was Here--Lady Antebellum
You will notice me.
I'll be leaving my mark, like initials carved in an old oak tree,
you wait and see.
Maybe I'll write like Twain wrote.
Maybe I'll paint like Van Gogh,
cure the common cold,
I don't know, but I'm ready to start 'cause I know in my heart--

I wanna do something that matters,
say something different,
something that sets the whole world on its ear.
I wanna do something better with the time I've been given,
and I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life,
and leave nothing less than something that says "I was here".

I will prove you wrong.
If you think I'm all talk, you're in for a shock,
'cause this dream's too strong, and before too long...
maybe I'll compose symphonies,
maybe I'll fight for world peace,
'cause I know it's my destiny to leave more than a trace of myself in this
place.

I wanna do something that matters,
say something different,
something that sets the whole world on its ear.
I wanna do something better, with the time I've been given,
and I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life,
and leave nothing less than something that says "I was here".

And I know that I, I will do more than just pass through this life.
I'll leave nothing less that something that says "I was here". I was here. I
was here. I was here.

Wanna do something that matters
something that says I was here
wanna do something that matters
something that says I was here, I was here
____________________________

Today a nursing student started working with me for her first of "14 1/2 shifts" before she graduates in December. It was a good first day since it was really slow...ESPECIALLY for a Monday! I usually just have the student watch on the first day, but probably should have had her do a few things since it was so slow, but I like to establish a trusting relationship before I let them "run free". I have a meeting in the morning that I probably should make sure I am prepared for. I have a lot to get done after the meeting too since I am having a party here on Wednesday.

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails