So, that was after Midnight on October 17...apparently, the new posting deal frustrated me way too much to finish it, so I will try again. (and I DID try again, but STILL didn't finish the post...it's the morning of November 5 and I'm going to set it to post later today or tomorrow...sheesh!)
This is a "paperwhite" bulb, also called a "narcissus" (so I have been told, I do not know my flowers very well!) My hospital holds its annual Perinatal and Pediatric Memorial service the second Sunday in October. One of the nurses who works on my floor has been doing it for over 15 years, and the past two or three I have helped. The "plan" is for me to take over next year. Unfortunately, one of the people in the pastoral care department took over and didn't really take any suggestions this year. So, hopefully we will improve that communication before the next time we plan a service. Anyway, we did have one meeting and set a theme. Then, one of the child life specialists found an activity that also gave each family something to take home with them.
The chaplain who gave the meditation did a GREAT job of tying in "the theme" with the activity. We got snow a couple days before the service which is REALLY early for us. She talked about how winter came early for us, but as the seasons go, we know that spring will follow winter. For those who have lost a child, winter came early, it came when they least expected it, when they were unprepared. While it may take a while for them to find spring, spring will eventually come, even though they will be forever changed by the winter. It really was a very nice reflection which worked for all those who attended (those who have experienced miscarriage, still birth, perinatal, neonatal, and pediatric loss are invited). I got to bring three of the bulbs home with me.
That evening was "the concert". I half-heartedly looked for someone to go with me, but really wanted to go alone. I was in the midst of a special, sacred, spiritual weekend and sometimes I like doing that solo. (The day before, I was chosen to be my friend's son's Godmother...well, the Baptism was that day, they chose me a while back!)
I was able to sell my second ticket since it was sold out and there was a line of people waiting. I had hoped to be able to give it away, but others were selling theirs and it was just easier that way. When I got there, nearly all the seats in the church were filled. Since I was "only one", I thought I would be able to find a single seat close to the front. Little did I know that they were going to find me a seat on the aisle in the very front row, stage right. Even better than I ever could have imagined, but I took it and quickly texted Ginger to let her know I was in.the.front.row.OMG! Speechless, definitely speechless (well, and "giddy"...and I did introduce myself to the people sitting next to me.)
Here is a collage from the concert. It was AWESOME!! Since I was sitting in the front row, I only used my flash for a couple pictures. (There were flash pictures being taken throughout the concert, but I thought that flash from the very front row could be distracting and I definitely didn't want to be kicked out!) Selah and Avalon were great! I didn't realize that I knew so many Avalon songs!
Since I'm a bit "star-struck", I was SO excited to read on Angie Smith's blog that she and her girls were coming along this leg of the tour. I am a "faithful reader", but not frequent commenter, although I do recall commenting on a post that had like 25 posts since I'm fairly certain I "happened upon" her blog before it exploded in readership. Anyway, since I'm kind of a freak, I quickly snapped this picture when I noticed her and her daughters sneaking in during the first song. It was REALLY dark and this is my attempt to lighten it up...I think you can tell who/what I was taking a picture of!
I jetted out of the room during the break since I had to go to the bathroom SO bad and sneaking out from the front row of a full house doesn't exactly work! Also, that is the time that the groups came down from the stage into the audience with packets of kids to sponsor. Now, I'm not against sponsoring a child, but it isn't something I can feel like I could do right now. I do a LOT of "sponsoring" of families/children who come into my life and do that without an agency on my own time and that works for me.
I was twittering/texting Ginger during the break freaking out that I was in the front row, etc. She told me she twittered Angie to let her know I was in the front row...what an awesome friend!
I made my way back to my seat and checked Angie's area. It kinda looked like there was "security" over there, so I almost didn't try. But, I took a deep breath and moseyed on over there. She was talking to two other "blog readers" and they were wanting a picture. I said "I'll take YOUR picture if you take MINE!" And so they did...
I was wearing shoes with a slight heel, but they still made me tower over her. She is 5'2 (I think that's what she said). I'm only 5 feet, but offered to take my shoes off for the photo (I think she thought that was sweet...ha!) I pulled one of the paperwhite bulbs out of my purse and gave it to her. I told her the story that was shared at the memorial service. I told her about the "tweets" (although she said she hadn't checked her phone in a while!) I asked her about going to the pumpkin patch (they went to a pizza place instead of that but I told her next time, she HAS to go there!) Wow, sounds like we talked for a bit. She really is sweet and I totally can't believe I have this picture!!
After the concert, they had a meet and greet/autograph signing. This girl was ahead of me in line and I talked to her and her mom. I spoke with some of the members of Avalon and got their autographs, but did not get a picture. I said "I didn't realize I knew so many of your songs...it was AWESOME!!"

I DID get my picture with Selah :o) I told Amy I thought she was HILARIOUS and she let me know that her husband gives her good material. She is super sweet and has an AMAZING voice! I told Todd that I had spoken with Angie and shared with him some of the story of the paperwhite. He and Allen both genuinely listened to this crazy girl who obviously was "star struck" and only sort of making sense...ha!
What an amazing, and still surreal experience! Treasured memories, with some really fun pictures to go along with them. It was a great spiritual "pick me up" and I love me some good music :o)
_________________________
Well, I'm not sure that was "worth" waiting nearly a month for, but now it is written (I suppose I could come back and add more details later...I did take notes in my little notebook about what songs they sang and did take a little video clip of Selah singing "Unredeemed" which is a great song!)
In another "surreal" moment, I am picking up Ginger in the airport early this afternoon. I didn't even KNOW about Ginger nine months ago and we already met up in Chicago and now she is coming to STAY with me for a couple days! I am SO excited and have some fun things planned. :o) I'll probably wait to post again until after she leaves so I can focus my time on hanging out rather than on the computer!
Until then...



2 comments:
Oh my goodness, you met Angie! She's such a wonderful person...I'm jealous :)
I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm glad you're having a great time of it! I need to read up on who this Angie is...
Post a Comment