Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Five Hundred Times

This is the five hundredth time I have posted to this blog. Five hundred times I have written words that could be read by anyone who chose to read them. "Do I have anything to say?" was the title chosen by me a little over twenty-one months ago because, really, I had no idea. The few who have come to visit and decided to stick around apparently think so! :o)

My One Hundredth Post came on the last day of 2007. At that time I didn't have any "readers". My Four Hundredth Post back in November got THREE comments :o) (I believe at least one of them stated that I must have SOMETHING to say considering I had posted that many times...there IS, however, a difference between "talking" and actually "saying something"! I will agree that SOMETIMES I do have things to say, but I still like my "blog title"!)

I have written about sad times and fun times. I have written about grief, and about hope. Sometimes I have posted even though I really DIDN'T have anything to say, but couldn't help but post something. Other times I have spent hours trying to put my thoughts into words that I would not regret having there for "all" to see. There have been days that I have had funny stories to share, and there were days I needed to write because my head was spinning and there was no way I could sleep unless I could sort things out. I have written about my family, my friends, my work, myself, randomness, seriousness...and more! I have posted pictures from vacations, weddings, friends, "my" kids, and "just me" doing "whatever".

There have been times when I wonder why I "blog", but most of the time I think it has been an amazing "experience" so far. My "blog" is a place where I can really be myself and thankfully has (thus far) been a place safe from criticism and judgment. I have "met", and become friends with people I probably never would have come in contact with if they lived down the street. "You" are such a blessing to me! Your words of kindness and support have helped me SO much! I remember bawling my eyes out last summer when I read this post of Kristy's . Even though our lives are so different, I could so relate to the "not fitting in" part. I grew up as a "likable" person, but not really the girl people wanted to invite to sleepovers or parties. Although I still think that I am somewhat "misunderstood" in the workplace, I know I can come to my blog, write what I am thinking, be myself, rarely holding back and folks seem to "get me". Of course I STILL can't get invited to your parties, but it isn't because you don't want me there, right?!

About a month ago, this was the "Quote of the Day". I think it fits well with this post, and my hopes for myself, (and this blog)--
"Be who you are and be that well." ~Saint Francis de Sales--Thank you St. Francis for the advice :o)

______________________________________________
My friend from Curves' husband died around 8:00 this evening. I spoke with her in the afternoon and she said that she was pretty sure today was going to be the last day with him. I let her know that I could come whenever she wanted (it was very nice to have today and tomorrow off). I made fajitas to bring her whenever she called (figured that was better than ice cream or alcohol!) I called around 7:15, after my dad's basketball game before choir practice to see how things were going. She thought it was getting close and I told her she could call me any time during the night and I would come. I cried through most of choir practice, and received a text message from her letting me know he had died just seconds after the director said that practice was over. I was one of four girlfriends who went to be with her this evening. We were all there when the funeral home came and took his body away. She told stories, we laughed, we cried, we hugged. We stayed until she said she needed to go to bed. One of her friend will go with her to the funeral home tomorrow. From experience, I know that it will be the months from now that she will feel most alone and need her friends the most. Thanks to all who prayed for him, for her, for their kids, and for me to have the strength to be the friend she needed me to be.
______________________________________________

Good night.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

What a beautiful friend you are. I know you were a comfort to her during this terrible time. I continue to say prayers for her, and for you.

Congrats on 500 posts!

Marcie said...

I'm so sorry about your friend's husband - I can't even imagine. You did the best thing by being present for her now and in the days/weeks/months ahead. You're an awesome friend, Amanda. I'm sure it's one of your areas of giftedness.

I met a NICU nurse today who works in Oregon. She's dating one of my closest friends and he wanted me to meet her. I know you're not NICU but you're peds and I'm sure you two would have a lot to talk about.

Prayers for your friend and prayers for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails