Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Forgotten Social Graces

So...I'm wondering if this whole "living alone thing" has gotten to me. I DO make an effort to go out every now and then (I even went out to dinner with some friends earlier this week!) and go places like Curves, work, the grocery store, church... Or, maybe a week with kids made me forget that I am, actually, a grown up. In any case, I'm pretty sure my mother would not be proud of my moment of forgetfulness this afternoon (not like Ron on the Biggest Loser last night who has the SWEETEST son who gave away his year of free groceries to the mother of five...aww!...anyway, I digress)

Anyway, this week my hospital got a new executive director that will be for pediatrics. This is a new position and it is very exciting. My hospital is also going to have a big review by the federal government. Because of that, they are making sure we are doing everything "by the book" and it requires some "tweaks" in the way that we have been doing things (the "rules" have already been there, we just haven't been as strict about following them). Things like changing location of storage and linens, no drinks/food at the nurses' station, no clutter in the hallways/on counters are just "annoying" changes. It isn't like we have HUGE issues, just inconveniences that we have to learn to deal with now. (Again, rambling...can you tell that I have a bunch of policies and procedures to read before my meeting tomorrow?!)

So...my manager brought the new executive around to show her a few things and introduce her to the staff who was there. We had a "warning" before they arrived, and I joked "when they get here, I'm going to jump out of my chair and go shake her hand"... Well, I didn't at first (mostly because I had been really busy all day and was enjoying my "sitting"). I did, however, blurt out, in a fairly whiny voice I might add, that I didn't like to follow the rules... Apparently, she did not find it very funny and responded that this federal review was very serious (um, YEAH, I get that). Eventually, I did get off my rear end and went to shake her hand (again, prefacing the handshake by letting her know that I had told everyone I was going to do that when she first got there...so, here I am, hello and welcome!) and then MAY have kissed her rear end for a little bit trying to smooth things over...

So, the running joke for the rest of the shift was that the new executive doesn't like me. I'm pretty sure that I never had the title "class clown", but think I may have captured it today. It came out of no where and I think my co-workers were pretty surprised that those words came out of my mouth, especially in that setting.

Yeah, too bad I will be having monthly meetings with her for at LEAST the next 12 months. Next time I will have to bring back the "Brown-nosing Me" and leave "Class Clown Me" at home :o)

Okay, now I'd better read those policies and procedures before I find some other excuse (like the fact that my eyelids are getting VERY heavy!) My first day of work without Facebook went better than expected, but that could be because I had four patients rather than the typical 2-3. I did check my email and Google reader couple times (and made the "mistake" of reading this post ...YUCK! Sorry Angie !)

Good night!

Edited to add this photo from my high school's fundraiser...yep, I'm kind of wishing I would have had that mask to hide behind :o) Okay, for REAL it's time to get reading!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails