Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, March 29, 2009

For the Record

Just in case you thought that I was always considerate, kind, thoughtful, sympathetic...whatever other nice things you have ever thought about me...I am not.

For the record, today was a day there were multiple times I was not so nice. I'm putting it out there, just so you know (and, maybe to clear my guilty conscience a little bit).

After church, I stopped by my parents' house. We visited for a while. At one point, I really noticed the shirt my mom was wearing. Not sure where else she would be going today, I said something like "you seem to like wearing shorter shirts these days"... Okay, SO not very nice, however, the bottom part of her stomach was definitely showing underneath the bottom of the shirt. Now, my mom is not really overweight, but personally, I'm not a big fan of the belly hanging out from under your shirt on ANYONE. (I realize that I am short, so it is a little harder for shirts to be that short on me, however, most of the time I wear camis "just in case" because not even I want to see my belly hanging out the bottom of my shirt...) Also, for the record, this is not the first time I have seen her wear a "questionable" shirt...just the first time I said something. She was a bit offended by my comment, asked if it was "okay" for her to wear it around the house and it was not mentioned again.

My sister...well, I'm afraid that I have decided that as a pregnant person she kind of annoys me. Maybe it is because of all this reading I do about people who feel so blessed to be pregnant with a healthy baby that is it SO annoying how much she takes things for granted. She can't do this or that because she is pregnant. They were getting the nursery ready this weekend, so she didn't have time or energy to cut my hair. Then, we were at dinner at my grandparents' house and the topic of her shower came up. My cousin had "saved the date" for Father's Day. That was going to be "okay" with me, but lots of people like to have that day off, and it doesn't REALLY make sense for me to request it off (unless it was my sister's baby shower...). Well, apparently, three of my cousins will be out of town and that day won't work, and I think they will be gone the weekend before as well. My sister said that it could NOT be any later than Father's Day. I was like, there is NO reason you can't do it later in June (at this time, I didn't realize how late Father's Day is this year...oops) and she definitely told me to "shut up"...which, likely was deserved. They have been buying lots of stuff, and were planning to go get the stroller and car seat tomorrow. I have been telling her ALL the time that she should register for that kind of stuff and spend money on the other things. This is NOT something they really need to have tomorrow, right?! They registered for a high chair rather than the stroller...I'm like, seriously, you need a car seat way more than a high chair (my brother-in-law said..."So, you just feed him in the car seat then"...um, well you won't actually need a high chair until he can sit up by himself which is a couple months...probably wouldn't REALLY need a high chair until like 6, 9 months, right?!) She doesn't think people will spend that much money...HELLO, this is the first great-grandchild and we have well over 20 cousins...I'm thinking there can be money pooled to buy bigger things. I mean, HELLO, that's what happens when you have the first baby in the family! But, they didn't ask me...and, after the whole "shut up deal", I kind of decided I shouldn't do much more arguing.

So, nice girl all the time, I am not...and now it is on the record. My mom and my sister seem to bring out my "alter ego" more than anyone else, but that doesn't make it "right"....

I am tired even though I slept in pretty late today. Last week was pretty exhausting, and I work the next two days. I have to type my agenda for this week's meeting, so I'd better get to work on that...

Night.

2 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Oh Amanda,

I love your honesty here:) Makes me smile big time. Mom and the short shirt, too funny! Really.:) And your sister, ahhh. You are so practical Amanda, too practical for the other girls in your family. I love your oops moment. Lucky I wasn't there with you, we'd have had a good laugh that would have gotten us in trouble:) And HELLO, I totally agree with you in the registry department. I went nutts and spent $l000 on big stuff off the registry list for my first grandkid. Even though they gave you the "shut up" message, I hear you and you are right!! I don't like feeling like you are being left out of the excitement here but?? I don't think you are a mean person at all. I have always gotten the impression that they really can push your buttons.
Hey, we are both Inmate Barbies, so don't mess with us!! Have a good night my friend. I love you just the way you are and don't change.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Furry Bottoms said...

I hope you won't be insulted by this, but your post had me giggling. HELLO, you need a car seat more than you need a high chair (exactly TRUE!) and HELLO, you're so right even when you're crabby :) I think you need a vacation. A real vacation. Not just days off from work but get awayt from it all kind of vacation. I had me one of those vacations around the time I first pecked you-- I went to Ocean Shores and man it was so soothing. I wouldn't say it was the cure for all my crabbiness and "oops" moments because when I came home, I was a bit MORE crabby than usual... because I had TO COME BACK! However, that was just me and that only happened this one time. I really like who you are, as you are... crabby included. And I agree, short shirts are really DUMB!!! :) Like guys with jeans halfway down their butt walking around. Ick.

Sending you hugs! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails