Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Running for the Arches



Golden ones.

And for cheese quesadillas, chips, and salsa too.

I actually got up at a "fairly decent" hour this morning. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and it looked like it was going to be another great day. While it would have been fun to spend the entire day watching basketball again today (I actually still kind of did that since I got an "early" start), I decided I shouldn't waste this beautiful day.

Plus, I wanted a Shamrock Shake ...

Until about three weeks ago, I had never heard of a "Shamrock Shake". Apparently, they are a "Golden Arches Special" around St. Patrick's Day. However, from my Google search this evening, it sounds like they are not sold at all locations or in all states which has people VERY upset. Anyway, I DID stop by the McDonald's by the hospital after my blood donation March 12. I DID enjoy my "Shamrock Shake" just like Kristy said I would. :o) After this week (you know, sick to my stomach one day, missing meals another day...), I figured I "deserved" another one (especially since there are only 9 days left of March)...

However, I also thought I should spend some time outside considering how much I complained about the cold and snow this winter. So, I headed to one of the bike trails (same one I went to on Monday...I park in the Kohl's parking lot which is another incentive to go...ha ha!) I decided that I wanted to run 2 miles today, since I ran about 1 on Monday. Now, I am not a "runner", but I am MUCH better on my own two feet than on any kind of wheels. Thinking about getting on a bike is a scary thought for me. My sister won't let me forget the time I nearly killed her ran her over when I tested out her roller blades in junior high. During my run, I decided to go 2 1/2 miles, and averaged about 11 minute miles...some longer-legged folks could probably WALK that fast...and was happy with that, especially since my last half mile was into the wind (so much for "may the wind be always at my back...") I really have no clue how those contestants on The Biggest Loser ran over 13 miles last week...CRAZY!

Anyway, after I "walked it out" and stretched, I did a "little" shopping at Kohl's before heading to the "Featured Destination" (mind you, I ran past it TWICE!). There was a LONG line at the drive-thru even though it was about 1:30. I was tempted for a moment to park and go in, but only for a split second. When I got to the window, I checked the menu and did NOT see "Shamrock Shake" listed...so, I asked. The guy acted like he didn't know what I was talking about...but said "no", they didn't have any...so, I had to "settle" for an Oreo McFlurry...I KNOW "poor me" =o(

It was only a three mile drive home, but my McFlurry was gone before I got into the garage...boy was that good...although, not exactly the taste I was looking forward to (plus, I'm thinking the oreos added a few additional calories...but, I suppose, if you are going to have a dessert from McDonald's, you must not be TOO worried about things like that!)

So far, my bracket is holding up pretty well, and I am currently in third place (any help cheering on the Pittsburgh Panthers would be appreciated...ha ha!) :o) I didn't miss out on TOO much basketball during my "outing"!

I actually watched some other shows from my DVR during "dinner" which consisted of some of my other favorite foods that are not consistent with "healthy eating" (you know, chips, cheese, tortillas, salsa)...but, that's why I exercised, right?! (And, I DEFINITELY had oatmeal for breakfast so it all balances out!)

Back to work tomorrow...hopefully I'll be able to get "my" patient back from yesterday. Hopefully more progress has been made and we can work on some ways to help with communication...I really think that some sign language would work and make things less stressful for the patient and the family (and the nurses!)

Maybe I should check the OTHER location tomorrow when I get off work...just in case...2 1/2 miles (plus a mile of walking!) is enough for TWO desserts, and a dinner of carbs, cheese, and salsa, right?! (Well, when I put it that way, carbohydrates, dairy, and vegetables sounds pretty well-rounded...plus, it was MANGO salsa, so a bit of fruit as well...ha ha!)

Good night.

1 comment:

Furry Bottoms said...

I am impressed with ANYONE who can run or jog. I CANNOT. I don't know why that is, but I just CANNOT even do a briskier than brisk walk. Weak ankles, I think. But I do very well on a bike... except I haven't been on one in over 20 years! Stationary bikes don't count. I had a shamrock shake once and I LOVED IT! It somehow reminded me of those mint thin girl scout cookies! I didn't get one this year :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails