Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, February 28, 2009

No More Suitcase

I am back at home and am happy to no longer be living out of a suitcase! I guess the nice thing about this week, though, was that I didn't actually have to PACK for a week. I stopped by my house each day (which is apparently how I ended up with four bras at their house!) and showered at home three of the days.

Yesterday, I did get a nice start on my "Clearing Clutter" plan for Lent. When I stopped by my house in the morning, I sorted through a few things before running some errands. This week I actually spent more time away from my computer than usual, so I think that means it is really possible to step away from it for a while :o)

One thing that helped with that is coming home and not bringing my computer with me (that was a pretty tough thing to do which is rather embarrassing to write!) Another thing that helped was having a kid to play games with. We played many games of Skip-Bo, Sequence, Go Fish!, King in the Corner, Speed, and a card game called "Jellies" that he taught me. We also played one game of Disney Trivia and I taught him how to do a "bridge" when shuffling cards. That kid does talk non-stop and I am afraid I wasn't nearly as attentive to him today as I was earlier in the week (I am not sure it really mattered to him, he just kept on talking!)

Another fun thing I was able to do this week is play the piano. I am not a pianist by any means, even though I took years of piano lessons. A few years ago, my parents were going to get rid of "my" piano. I pretty much flipped out, even though my house wasn't ready to become a home for a piano. My aunt took pity on me and said she would "store" it at their house until I was ready for it. I thought that I would go there and play every once in a while, but it hasn't happened, even though I found a bunch of my books at mom and dad's a month or two ago. So, I packed up some books and brought them to the house where I was baby-sitting. I found the music to a song that won me a trophy at the "Piano Olympics" when I was in middle school (I'll have to find a picture!) and it did bring back some memories. I also have an easy arrangement to "Wind Beneath My Wings" which is another "blast from the past" (and holds memories of its own considering I actually have a friend I met on the beach when we were ten!) I also can at least play most of the notes to the song that plays during my birthday movie :o) It was really relaxing to just play, even though I am not that good! I may need to make an effort to go to my aunt and uncle's house some time in the near future to play. I also should think about if it would be nice to have "my" piano here.

Well, I am really sleepy and have to go back to my "real job" tomorrow. This week was really good for me. I learned a lot (including seeing why laundry would be never ending with more than one person living in your home!) and had quite a bit of fun :o) Since the kids were older, I didn't miss out on anything I wanted to do, and they had friends over/went to friends houses a few times, so I had much more "alone time" than I would have if they were small children. I'd definitely be willing to do it again...anyone out there need a baby-sitter so they can go on vacation?! ;o) Not sure how much $ I will get, but whatever will be more than I had before I started!
_____________________
Since I am doing this "Day by Day Through Lent", I may try and post some of the suggestions each day. Wednesday's focus was Getting Ready to Clear My Clutter, Thursday's was What Am I Gaining--and Losing, yesterday's was Reach Out to Others. Today's was Be Kind to Myself with the following Scripture/Reflection:
Isaiah 58:9b-14; Luke 5:27-32 The tax collector Levi’s change of heart came about because Jesus showed him kindness and friendship. I talk to God about any changes I should make in my self care in order to do as Jesus did. I ask for God’s help in making these changes in order to be able to do God’s will.

Looking ahead, tomorrow's is Clearing My Surroundings of Clutter...that could be tough and definitely take more than one day!
____________________

Good night!

P.S. I have only watched a couple episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, but tomorrow's story is about a photographer who works with the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep organization. She took the pictures of the Amazing Mary Grace and Mary Grace's family was involved in the story. My DVR is set and I'm excited to see God at work in this episode :o)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails