Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hurting Hearts

How's THAT for the title to the "Valentine's Day" post?!

This wasn't the "crying week" of last week, but my heart has still been hurting. I realize that this is more of a blessing than a curse, but my heart tends to try and suck the hurt out of any it finds. I suppose that is part of what makes me good at my job, and hopefully a good friend and family member as well :o) My heart also seems to know where to find the hurting ones! I have quotes all around my blog page reminding me where my heart should be--"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again." ~Stephen Grellet; "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." ~Leo Buscaglia; "I've always thought that people need to feel good about themselves and I see my role as offering support to them, to provide some light along the way."~Leo Buscaglia...

I love that God has given this heart to me. I suppose I am even more grateful that through the years He has shown me how to protect my heart as well, or at least how to keep myself from completely falling apart on a daily basis! He has given me wonderful friends who listen, who put me in my place, who remind me that some hurts cannot be "fixed" by me, who have helped me find ways to pump my heart back up so it is ready to go again. I am SO very blessed!

I will not argue that "Valentine's Day" is a commercial holiday, but isn't it nice to have a special date that EVERYONE is reminded to say "I love you"?! In this crazy world we live in, I am sure there are people who get all wrapped up in themselves, their "busyness of life" that they forget how important those words are.

Hmm, this seems like kind of a scattered post that may not even make much sense (hopefully I am not losing my brain because I still have two more days of 12-hour shifts ahead of me!) However, at least I am writing about caring for "hurting hearts" rather than my "lonely heart" (ha ha, that is funny...this heart rarely feels TOO lonely...alone, yes, lonely, not usually, although it was definitely tested this past week!)

Prayers for all those with hurting hearts. Prayers for those who long to hear those "three little words" that, unfortunately, were probably spoken today more than they were yesterday and will be tomorrow.





1 comment:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Amanda,

I love the heart that God gave just to you. I agree with you when you say you take on the pain of others. I find myself doing this so often and I get so down until I realize that we are sharing the hurts of others. I am so glad for you and I want you to know that I love you.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails