As I wrote last night , I had the opportunity to attend a VERY fun party! These people are known for their crazy theme parties, but this was a new one for me...and I'm thinking a new one for everyone!
The above photo was just PART of the fun! (In case it is hard to read with the Red, White, Blue theme going on brown paper--the front said "PIZZA" in bubble letters--the text reads "Pizza is the food of America. We salute you, An American hero, for bringing our food. Thank you for all you do.")
I actually was the third "guest" to show up for the party, even though I was 30 minutes late. The house was decorated with posters on every wall. I took pictures of all of them except one that said "Pie of my eye" except the "Pie" was a drawing of a pizza. I hope you are able to see them in the slide show. It was really clever (there also was a copy of the movie "Mystic Pizza" on display.)
I was directed to the "Appreciation Station" that was downstairs. There was a large table with sidewalk chalk, crayons, glue, colored pencils, construction paper, glue, stickers, buttons...it looked like a kindergarten classroom! There was an example there of a card with a poem thanking the pizza delivery drivers. Participation in card making, was more than encouraged. Even though I am NOT artistic at all (good thing I became a nurse and not a teacher...I would not have been very good at that!), I decided I had to go for it. I am holding my first card in one of the photos. I drew an "eye", wrote out the word "heart" and attempted to draw a pizza that looked more like a chocolate chip cookie...you know, "I Heart Pizza"...ha ha! On the inside, I wrote something like "Dear Pizza Delivery Driver, Thank you very much for bringing my favorite food right to my front door. I appreciate all you do. Have a good night." and signed with "Sincerely". There were some pretty creative people there, and one guy even wrote a "haiku". It was definitely like an elementary school classroom for a little while :o)
The pizzas started arriving around 9:15. When each order was made, they asked who the driver was going to be. That way, we could personalize their cupcake and gather appropriate cards. We had a "look out" and when the driver pulled up, we got into place and turned the lights off. We shouted "surprise" and cheered and said thank you and hooted and hollered when each driver arrived with the pizza. We gave them their gifts and got group photos with the drivers (I am hoping to get those emailed to me because I didn't use my camera). Before they left, we sang "for he's a jolly good fellow..." and cheered. Oh my goodness, I thought I was going to die laughing! The "best case scenario" for the "party planner" was to have two drivers show up at once and that did happen. The guy definitely did not know what to do, but the girl was the manager at her place and was taking it all in (she even said "I guess we should fight"...priceless!) It was SO funny! She felt like the party was truly a success after that happened :o)
I was there for four drivers, but had to leave so I could go to bed. They had only made one more call and I think had plenty of pizza to last for a while. What a great time...definitely WAY more fun than sitting at home catching up on my DVR of "The Today Show"! I hope this slide show of photos works...I haven't posted a movie like this since October and am not sure I remembered correctly how to do it!
Work was good today. I worked three shifts this week and did FIVE discharges. That's pretty crazy, but today, like Monday, I was left with only one patient by early afternoon. Today, however, I did not go home early (I have the next five days off and need all the money I can get!) It cooled off this evening, so it was like 52 degrees in my house when I got home. I closed the windows and had to turn the heat back on. I had some hot apple cider and think I'm ready to snuggle into bed :o)
Good night.

No comments:
Post a Comment