Daylight Savings Time, that is... I live in "farm country" but admit that I know pretty much nothing about farming, and just about as much about the reasoning behind the time change. I hear that Daylight Savings Time was to help people who work outside (like farmers) work longer hours during harvest. I'm thinking that there is equipment now that have large lights so they can work even when it is dark...of course, that's just a thought.
All I know is that the time change REALLY messes up those of us who work in settings where TIME really matters! I have worked night shifts both on the "spring forward" and "fall back" days (guess which one NO one wants to work?!). It's always a debate/dilemma about such things as when to give the antibiotic? when can they REALLY have another pain med? which 0200 should I use for replacement fluid or increasing tube feeding rate? will that hour of extra or missed IV fluids make a difference? Never mind the fact that the hours of 0100-0300 were the hardest parts of the night anyway and having to "re-do" one of those painful hours is, in fact, quite "painful". Is it really worth all this mess? I'm wondering if there are as many night nurses as there are farmers...maybe they can "band together" and protest!
I guess it's an extra special day to "thank my lucky stars" that I no longer have to work the night shift. It just so happens that today was my first of three days in a row. So, not only should I get my same "cool" patients back, I get to sleep an extra hour!
No comments:
Post a Comment