Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving Thanks

My cousin who lives in New York flew into town yesterday for the holiday. She is spending the weekend with me, which was a nice incentive for me to pick up some of the stuff that has just been piling up because I live alone. Of course, I have a LONG way to go before I'd let too many people see my home, but I got a good start. She went out to dinner with a friend, and I ate with my parents. I offered to pick someone up at the airport late last night, but they didn't end up needing me. SO, I went out with two of my cousins. We are all the oldest in our families, of the oldest three kids on my mom's side of the family, who only have sisters. It was the first time any of us could remember JUST the three of us "hanging out". We had a WONDERFUL time! I am thankful that things worked out this way (because I had planned on using the airport excuse to not go out, or would not have been able to stay out as long). One of those "everything happens for a reason" moments...

Today, I did not have to work. However, either because of my work, or simply getting older, I have come to realize how very blessed I am to have such a terrific family, and how hard it would be to be separated from them. So many of the families whose children are cared for at my hospital have more separation than anyone could imagine. It is a huge hardship/stressor for them, which is sometimes forgotten by "us" health care workers. At my family dinner today, we had THIRTY people! I was able to see BOTH sets of grandparents, four aunts, four uncles, and thirteen cousins (and of course "others" because that doesn't add up to 30!). If I would have stayed with that side of the family for the rest of the day, I would have been the 25th person at the "bowling outing". I am SO blessed that family has always such an important part of my life.

This poem was posted in a comment on another blog I read. I really liked it, so decided to post it here, so I won't forget its message. I truly am blessed, and am trying to make sure I remember that every day!

Thank today whom you may not be able to thank tomorrow...
Forgive today whom you may not be able to forgive tomorrow....

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times. During those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes. They will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary, because it means you've made a difference.

It's easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings.

True wealth is the blessings you see in your life.
True wealth is the blessings you give to others.
True wealth is what you give, not what you have or get...

Even though "no one" really reads this, I guess I should say "Happy Thanksgiving". I know that I am "giving thanks", ESPECIALLY today, but striving for every day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails