Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Stormy weather

It has been raining almost non-stop for three days now. I love thunderstorms and the sound of rain beating down, but this is crazy! Luckily, it didn't rain that hard during the breast cancer walk. It was amazing how many people were there supporting this cause. The theme of the walk was "Hope starts with me" and you could definitely feel the hope in the air. It only took us about 45 minutes to walk the route, so I'm pretty sure it was closer to a 5K than a 5 mile, so I had no trouble (although, I'm a little tired and it's not even 7:30, so it definitely took some effort). We took a school bus (22 of us from Curves) on the 60 mile drive to the walk, so it was a fun time even with the weather.

When I got home, I found out that a patient I took care of yesterday got really sick overnight. I just started bawling! It made me question everything that happened...did I miss something? Should I have asked for more tests? Should I have had someone else do another assessment? This child has been through so much and her family is amazing...why did this happen to her again? I guess my only consolation is that I believe that I worked with the mother yesterday in doing some "problem solving". She knew something wasn't right and I agreed with her. We went down her list of symptoms multiple times. I asked her multiple times what she thought we should do, what she wanted me to do. I just cried and cried (of course, I was also watching some ice skating thing on TV that was talking about people with cancer, songs about kids with cancer, hearing my favorite song from "Wicked"...I was already a mess of emotions!). I am praying SO hard for this child and her family. She needs to get better and go back home soon.

After my meltdown, I showered, then went to the horse races (simulcast) with my dad. This is something fun that we do together, but hadn't done in a while. My mom is out-of-town, so it was a great time. Of course, we lost every race we bet (usually we win at least one!). We didn't even come close!!

But, now I'm home in time to watch the baseball game. I'm sad that the Red Sox ended up losing last night. Tonight, I think I'll root for the Rockies (if I can stay up late enough to watch the whole game...taking a long walk, pouring rain, and crying wiped me of all my energy!)

Tomorrow, my supervised visit is at Chuck E. Cheese...so it can't be THAT bad of a day!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails