I started off my shift with two patients (normal is 2-3, with the understanding that if you start with two, you will most likely get at least one admission). The other 2 nurses in my area started with 3. The plan was for me to get the scheduled admission (obviously!). We each ended up sending a patient home and as of 4:00 we hadn't heard anything about the admission. So, I was sitting there with one patient, the others with two, and the charge nurse decided that someone needed to go home, and that someone should be me because I just had one patient. I jumped at that idea because I had been "dragging" since 2:00 after being off for a few days. So, I gave report on my one patient and got home by 5! Of course, I had BIG PLANS of taking a nap, but didn't.
I did, however, talk to my friend who moved away. One of the patients she did a lot with while she was here passed away yesterday in a different state. It was really sad to hear of her passing because she was a child who had come SO far and had a lot of potential...she seemed like one of the ones who would gain so much life after receiving her transplant. My heart goes out to her family.
I pray a lot for the families of the patients I care for. They deal with so many more issues all at once than some people ever have to deal with. Today I sent a card to a mom who lost her daughter in January. Her daughter's birthday is next week. The majority of the blogs I read are those of parents who either have chronically ill children, or have children who have died. (Is there something wrong with me?!). I actually think the answer to that is "no"...hopefully anyway...I think these people have all been sent to me to teach me, to help me care for those other people God has chosen to place in my life.
This past week or so, I have been a little anxious about going to work. Usually, we "pick" our patients before the shift starts. Some nurses get there extra early so they have first dibbs...I'm not sure if that's "right", but it's the truth, and I will admit that I've done it once or twice, but mostly I'd rather have my sleep. We have a patient whose mom had, I'm not sure how to explain it, some kind of "freak out" issue with me earlier this year even though I've never had her child as a patient. I'm pretty sure it was a huge misunderstanding because this mom seems like a very sweet and kind person with a huge heart (someone kinda like me!). Anyway, I'm not sure if I should "shy away" from taking this patient, if I should "choose" to take this patient and risk the mother being very upset about that, or just let what happens happen and deal with whatever comes. I have another opportunity tomorrow...I guess I'll sleep on it (and pray some too!).
Well, a post about getting off early and am thinking about work...that pretty much is how my life goes. I have issues...but am not going to change my position that I love living alone!
No comments:
Post a Comment