Catholic Schools Week was celebrated Nationally this week. I was REALLY happy to be off on Sunday so I could go to the Catholic Schools Week dedicated Mass at my church (the "All School Mass" was a different day). At that Mass, the third graders were the choir (so cute!) and they sang songs I remember singing when I was in elementary school. The principal presented awards to a few teachers for their "years of service". Two teachers were recognized for 35 years of service...yes, THIRTY-FIVE! They were two of my favorites :o) After Mass, there was an Open House at the school. I have been in one of the buildings a number of times, but hadn't set foot in the main building for over 10 years. I decided there was no better opportunity! Oh how many memories it brought back...or, how bad of a memory I had that I couldn't remember which teachers were in which classroom when I was there since obviously there has been some staff and room changes since I graduated nearly 16 years ago! Some things haven't changed, though, and that was so cool! I was given a tour by a sixth grader and first grader which was just adorable. I was going to show them my picture on the wall, but somehow, the "Class of 1994" had gone missing! One wall went to 1993 and the other wall started at 1995...I told them that's because we were the best class! I spent a long time talking to a woman whose sons I used to baby-sit. I have been able to talk to her quite a bit as a "grown up" and I just love that! I can't even count how many people I talked to that day (of course, everyone knows my parents because they are really involved at church too).
As I sat in the pew at Mass, walked through that building, and talked to people I have known "forever", I couldn't imagine having children and NOT sending them to that school, going to that church. That community has been mine for over 25 years. I was overwhelmed with emotion at how MUCH that place and the people there mean to me. I knew I felt that way about my high school, but hadn't thought about my elementary school/church giving me the same feeling. I know I am blessed to feel so much love from my community.
I posted this collage before, but thought it was worth sharing here :o)
I think it was Monday that I read "Same Kind of Different as Me". I don't want to go into many details about it, because I think it means more if the story is a surprise. However, it is a true story about an "unlikely friendship". I admit that I read it kind of fast, so probably should read it again, especially the last third (I couldn't wait to find out how the rest of the story unfolded, so I probably missed a few details/meaningful "quotes"). One thing that was "kinda crazy" about this book is that part of it unfolded while I was in college in the same town where the story was taking place. I would say that I am 99% positive that someone I know has at least met one of the "characters" from the book. I have been to some of the places they went to, or at least heard of them (another reason to read it again!) Books have a way of taking you away, and it was kind of odd to be taken away to a place I actually have been!
One of the "takeaways" of the book is to get to know people that are different from you, learn the names of strangers, one person can make a difference... It was interesting to read some of the discussion questions on the book club page about these things because I honestly believe that they are a part of who I am. While I was surprised to hear my mom tell me recently "you SHOULD have all different kinds of friends", I know that to be true, and I DO make an effort to talk to different people because you can learn SO much by listening! I am also blessed with the ability to remember lots of names and dates...not ALL names and dates, but lots of them! As "endearing" as it is to call patients' parents "mom" and "dad", I much prefer to call them by name (and it makes me a little mad when I can't remember mom's name even if they haven't been in the hospital for a long time!) A name, not a number or a diagnosis, that's how I try to do my job :o)
Although I came to be "at peace" with the way things went on Tuesday with my first call, I still get a little sad when I think about it. However, it is amazing HOW many people were there to see me through it, help me through today (and, nearly HALF the people I talked to were people I met through my blog...how crazy is that?!) That's one reason I don't want to make my blog completely private...look what I would have missed if this blog wasn't open for them to find! But, I had lunch with a friend from work who works in the media department and she reminded me once again of the law regarding protecting patient privacy. While I have maintained anonymity for the most part, I'm sure there are violations here if someone wanted to find them. To be honest, that does scare me a bit because I have no idea what would happen to me if I lost my job...it is SO much a part of me... I know the last time I "freaked out" about this, I got reassuring responses that it did not appear I have done anything illegal here. I hope that continues to be the case. I did end up deleting some pictures from my "web album" so I now probably have some posts with missing pictures, but that's okay. (However, for a minute it makes me wish I was the nurse in Haiti who works at an orphanage/hospital and can post pictures of her patients and their stories on her blog...I don't think she would do that if it was "illegal"...)
I let my work meeting this morning...the second to last time I have to do that. It was once again stressful trying to fit all the agenda items into the time we were given, and of course we ran out of time before we go to everything and people were upset. I was teary tonight thinking about it because it isn't EXACTLY a "thankless job", but in the two years I held this position, I rarely heard positive feedback from my peers. That really stinks because I worked really hard to learn how the meetings were supposed to be run, what we were actually supposed to discuss, etc. but no one wanted to hear it. Of course, after today, the manager decided to change the meeting from two hours to three...thanks for nothing, right?! Time, or lack there of, was one of the things that caused me the most anxiety/stress. I guess I should be glad that the next people won't have to deal with that issue...of course, they will probably be "the hero" because SO much more things got done when THEY ran the meetings and no one will remember that I was working with one less hour (bitter much?! I probably should go to bed because my attitude just went down the toilet with the change in paragraphs here!)
I went to the dermatologist a little while ago to get some "bumps" checked out that are on my scalp. I sat in the waiting room for 45 minutes and the doctor took MAYBE 45 seconds to glance at one of the four bumps that I have, told me I was fine, but he could take them out if I wanted, and left. Well, financially, I didn't think that I could "swing" something that it appeared would be billed as "cosmetic". However, one of them has REALLY been bothering me. Without going into too much information, it has been nicked with a comb one too many times and hurts quite often, and sometimes drains/bleeds which is pretty darn nasty. So, after finding out that I have a $300 deductible (yeah, I cried), I called the dermatologist because with the discomfort and nastiness, I was going to have to "suck it up" and pay whatever it costs to get rid of at least that one. The person I talked to was really nice, and in a nice way basically told me that the doctor I saw has a really crappy bedside manner. She made an appointment for me to see a different doctor in a different office on Monday. Of course, there goes another $30 co-pay and I need to call tomorrow to make sure he is still "in network", but I need to get these taken care of...no matter what the cost, I guess.
I had the whole afternoon off and was barely productive (need to stop doing that...I DO have stuff that needs to be done!) I did watch quite a bit of TV and actually took a short nap before choir practice. I was the only "soprano" to show up at choir practice which, if you have ever heard me sing, is NOT a good thing. I enjoy singing in the choir, but pretty much put myself in the soprano section because they mostly since melody. I CANNOT carry a section...I am VERY good at "blending" (and AWESOME when I sing along with the radio...ha!) Thankfully, two of the altos took pity on me and helped me out, but it definitely was more stressful than I would like choir practice to be! Plus, it decided to snow again AFTER it had rained, so the roads were a little slippery.
Well, it's a little after 1:30, so that's probably enough "thoughts" for one Thursday!
Good night.



No comments:
Post a Comment