I picked up the teenager from my mom and dad's house after school and the first thing she told me was that she failed her biology test. As in, an actual F, not a C that she feels is an F. I quizzed her on it last night and this morning and it seemed like she knew it. She said while she was taking it, she didn't think she was doing that bad. However, that definitely didn't help her confidence. She also missed an English test yesterday (that she thought was today) and couldn't find her health homework (the twinkle twinkle little star song about vitamin b 12 I wrote) but ended up not needing it. Poor girl :(
We weren't home THAT long before my house phone rang. I don't usually answer it, but was expecting a call from her academic advisor. I was pretty sure she would call my cell phone, but took a chance on the house phone and it was their mom. Apparently, she had written down on her calendar that I would be bringing the girls there from 5-8 today. Well, I was SUPPOSED to be at work today (I was on-call/got called off) so there is no way I told her that. But, I apologized for the mix-up in dates and told her we already had plans. She was really upset about this, but obviously didn't get my drift that it was plans I made to do WITH the girls because she was talking about how she was going to call the DHHS worker to see if someone else could pick them up. I really wasn't going to budge on my plans (to the horse race track with my dad...fun and a good distraction from all the stress/tension around here!) but I also don't like having people upset with me. I left a message with the worker and also called the caseworker from my agency to explain what happened. (I later told the teenager so she has at least HEARD my side of the story...whether or not she chooses to believe her mom instead of me is up to her.)
I honestly am not trying to keep her from her girls, but I also know that the past couple of days have been ROUGH. I realize that they are going to go back to her and I can't change the way things are, but I will admit to being a "little" selfish wanting to protect the teen from being around someone who obviously didn't make self-esteem boosting one of her top priorities...at least for one day. Even though I felt like crap for a while, I do think it was the right decision. She had fun at dinner (my dad is super fun) and I let her drive home. She has been working on her English paper and I can tell she is really stressed by it (writing papers stressed me out big time...I seriously cried nearly every time I had an English paper due and even cried writing papers in college!) So, I offered to type it since she is a HORRIBLE typer. I know eventually she will have to write AND type, but for now, if I am able to take a tiny bit of stress off her, I'm going to do it.
Well, I work tomorrow, but she wants to catch up on our Days of Our Lives watching (I can't believe I watch that show AND sucked her into it!)

No comments:
Post a Comment