The girls are gone visiting their brothers right now. This is the first time that I haven't scheduled an appointment or have a million errands to run while they are gone. Sure, there are things I could/should do, but I'm just going to sit here in the peace and quiet (well, watching TV and on the computer!) and enjoy it. Things have been crazy and stressful and I have REALLY missed blogging for many reasons. Of course, it probably is good that I've "cut back" but this has become such a great outlet for me that I need to make time to get online every once in a while for my own sanity :)
I know that being a mom adds extra craziness to your life, but I don't think it typically involves THIS many phone calls! Seriously, I'm on the phone so much that the little one referred to me by my first AND last name the other day! Whether it's the caseworker, the person from DHHS, or people from the visitation agency, I am constantly making phone calls. Unfortunately, it seems that I'm the one with the communication skills and the visitation people are the worst with this. Last week, the girls' mom left the state to visit sick family members. The caseworker and people from the state knew, but no one decided to tell us or the visitation workers so the girls went and turned around and came right back (there went my "peace" that night!) Yesterday, my mom sat with them for an hour and a half waiting for the worker to pick them up (the fourth different worker in that many visits, mind you). No one came and my mom was upset to tears for them (and also because it completely messed up the schedules of her, my dad, and my sister). Apparently the visit was canceled and they "forgot" to call us...seriously, this is 2010 and almost EVERYONE has a cell phone!
The caseworker came today. She didn't want to "predict" about what is going to happen at court next month, but maybe I was being too "glass full" in thinking that the girls will be back with their mom shortly after that. We are now working on my work schedule for October and it is SO weird to be doing that when I have no clue if I will have the girls and if I do, what their visitation schedule will look like!
As much as the girls want to go home, they are definitely having fun here. My dad is so crazy and the rest of my family is super fun too (apparently even my brother-in-law got into the goofiness yesterday while I was at work!) Just a couple of examples for effect--my dad made corn on the cob with dinner while I was at work. Apparently they ate it all and my dad decided he could just make corn from a can for me and my sister said they could just put the holders in the bowl for me...nice! Later, my dad was being extra silly getting the little one all wound up and went a little too far so my mom told him to go to time out. So, he got a chair, brought it to the living room, sat in it, and pouted. She is still talking about my dad getting into trouble!
The older one laughs and smiles ALL the time...and also talks to me (and to everyone in my family) ALL the time. She is really comfortable with us and we are also giving her the extra TLC that she needs. She is a joy and SO very helpful! I thought we were going to have an "issue" on Saturday night since she wanted to stay out later than I would allow (yes, I actually said "no"!) However, she decided not to give me any attitude and never really questioned my decision...seriously, what 15-year-old girl does that?! I'm so blessed! (I DID prepare myself for how I was going to handle "attitude"...ha!)
When I put the little one to bed, I started asking her to tell me about all the fun stuff she did during the day. Of course, she now talks and talks and talks so she doesn't have to go to sleep, but I still think it was a good idea. Last night, she told me about playing blocks with my nephew, blowing bubbles with my family, the different things she ate, and about my dad getting into trouble. As she went over her list, she was grinning from ear to ear so when I told her to close her eyes she had a smile on her face. Even though it does make for a drawn-out bedtime, I think it is important to have her go to bed happy.
My family is doing amazing with these girls. I had no idea what my mom would be like and she is doing everything she possibly can to help. My sister isn't just "watching" them on the days I'm at work, she is really taking care of them and doing a great job. (My sister has really grown and changed a lot...when my grandpa was rushed to the hospital the other week, she had her husband come home from work to take care of the baby and she spent over 3 hours with my grandparents...amazing!) Of course, it helps that the girls are really sweet and don't have behavior issues, but still, it is so wonderful.
Well, that should be a long enough post. I probably should eat dinner before the girls come back (or make something for ALL of us to have for dinner!)
Hopefully I'll be back for more blogging later this week :)
Good night.
1 comment:
I'm glad you were able to work a little more! And if I'm being completely honest, I must admit I'm a little jealous of you having "houseguests" because it sounds like they have brightened your house! Hope you continue to enjoy them for as long as they are with you.
Post a Comment