I'm super sad for Sara who lost her dad suddenly last Friday and had to watch his funeral from her living room since she can't leave the house. (Information here on how you can make a card that will be sent with other cards.) She wrote a tribute to her dad in this post. I've never met Sara, but as one of her friends wrote about her, "Sara just reminds me of Jesus." It's true, her faith, her courage, her inspiration...she is amazing and I'm just really sad for her.
The husband of my choir director passed away the night before last. Services are tomorrow night and Friday, but I'm not sure I will be able to go. I'm going to try, but things really are more complicated these days. I've known this woman for SO long and showing support by attending services is something that I've "always" done.
My "A-team" girl is super sick and her mom is really struggling. I'm really sad for their family, especially when it sounds like the doctors aren't seeming very positive she will make it through this and get back home to her family. Of course, God is in control of that, but it is going to be a rough road.
I am technically "on-call" for work, but it sounds like once again I will not be working. I was "on-call" for a few hours on Monday, but was thankfully called into work. I was called off work a week ago, so this is the second time this pay period. If my math serves me right, I will be missing at LEAST 30% of my usual pay check. Considering the fact that a "normal" pay check barely covers my house payment, this is not good. There is an opportunity to go work on adult floors in order to get hours. I don't really want to do this, but after much thought and prayer, I decided that I ought to "suck it up" for a little while...unfortunately, I decided a little too late and was unable to take that opportunity today. I also caught wind of something that was happening where other nurses were getting paid extra to work when we weren't getting hours...that's when I lost it this morning and could no longer hold in my tears. I'm really struggling with trusting His plan in all of this, but suppose I am also thankful that I'm not used to living the life of luxury (although taking my girls to a movie or something would be fun).
I'm still waiting on getting money from the State for June. It isn't all about the money and my girls are fabulous, but that money WILL be a blessing (plus I need to pay my sister for watching them on the few days that I HAVE worked!) I had an issue with the other foster mom who was supposed to watch my girls on Sunday while we go celebrate my grandpa's birthday. She ended up asking someone else to do it, so I was stressed out about using one of my very few respite days OR having to pay this person. Thankfully, when I spoke to her yesterday, she said it would be okay and we didn't need to do either of those things. However, it still doesn't quite sit right with me that the other foster parents will get paid for the whole month of June as if they had the girls when they really didn't, but it is what it is and I shouldn't worry about it.
The conversation with that other foster mom yesterday was SO weird. She said that both she and the previous foster mom had not had good experiences with my teenager. She said that "M" was obnoxious and snotty and refused to help around the house. Really?! This girl who has been doing dishes and laundry and vacuuming since the day she stepped foot in my house?! This super sweet girl with the big smile who now giggles quite often and NEVER stops singing?! This girl who teases me and talked NON-STOP about her camp experience for two days?! I'm not here to judge and I KNOW I'm not perfect, but it makes me wonder what she felt like in those houses to make her act like that. Yesterday I "mentioned" that I needed to clean the bathroom and when I thought she was showering, she was actually cleaning the bathroom. Seriously, I love that girl. For some reason I didn't have much patience for her little sister yesterday, but hopefully today is better for both of us :)
So, I'm struggling, but the tears have stopped for now. I'm praying that things at work will get better soon and that I can continue to trust Him and His plans for me.
On a "really cool" note, I received an amazing message in my fb inbox. Back when I was in high school, my family did foster care for two sisters who were 5 and 3. We ended up kind of being a "respite" family. My dad wanted to adopt the 5-year-old, but the 3-year-old had severe fetal alcohol syndrome and was non-verbal and we didn't feel equipped to handle that. The 5-year-old had some behavior issues from the abuse/trauma she had endured and at the time they were a "pair" so it ended up not working out. They ended up splitting them up and the older one was adopted by a single mom. She is now 19 and the mom of a baby and my friend on fb. Over the weekend, she sent me a message about "the good old days" and missing having spaghetti at my grandma's house. That message really took me by surprise because she was only FIVE and really only with us for about three months. When I responded that I couldn't believe she remembered, she said of COURSE she remembered. I guess that really shows how much of a difference you can make in a child's life in a very short time, even if it is "nothing".
Well, the little one is up and I think it's time to stop crying and have breakfast.
3 comments:
Oh Amanda, hang in there girl and I will be praying for work to pick up for you too. You already are a blessing in these girls lives and I know God will not let you down.
Love and Hugs, Laurie
Never in a million years did I expect nurses to lose hours like they are these days. It is all over the country...scary stuff!
I don't really have much to say except I know what the struggle feels like and am praying for you. God will take care of us!
praying Amanda, hoping things perk up soon. Let me know if you need anything! ps. Got your card, loved it, but REALLY not needed!!
Post a Comment