Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Good-byes



Yesterday morning, I sent "M" off to camp. After the tears and packing delay the previous night, I was wondering how the morning would go. I was thankful to have sent out a "prayer request" on twitter because I didn't witness any tears. We stayed until the bus left, then "L" and I had a fun day with a picnic in the park before nap and then pizza and the park for dinner after her visit with her mom was canceled. There were a few tears at bedtime, but we stayed at my mom and dad's, so I think that helped take her mind off missing her sister. I, however, did NOT sleep well at my mom and dad's for some reason and woke up every hour. My sister said that "L" didn't talk about "M" today and she went to bed without any problem and I hope that "M" is doing just as well (or better!) than her sister :)



This is a picture from my phone I took when we went Downtown last week.



My mom was ironing this dress when I got there last night. She was shocked that I said it was SO cute and that this style seems to have come back. (Okay, I could totally be wrong, but I think it's really cute!) My mom thought that one of her sisters had worn it and I HAD to bring it home with me. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous to put "L" in it since I'd probably be sad if something spilled on it, but maybe I just need to get over that ;)

____________________________

Work is still super slow and I didn't get my full 12-hours in again today. In the last six times I was scheduled to work, I was forced to stay home one of them and forced to leave early three of them. So, only two full shifts out of six which is really stinky considering that six shifts is two weeks for me :( We have so few patients right now that I won't be surprised to get forced to stay home again this week, maybe even on Monday!

One of my favorite patients/moms is back here in the hospital (my "A-team girl" for those of you who have been reading long). They came back late last week and she is pretty sick. I was able to drop off a few things for them to have when they got here, but didn't get to visit until today after I got off. They both had to quickly say good-bye to the rest of their family, their home, their daily routines, etc. They have no idea how long they will be here and that is really sad. Her mom and I had a nice visit and I'm hoping she will make it to my floor soon (and then on her way back home :) ) Prayers for their whole family appreciated.

I have this quote on the side of my blog I found in the PALS Handbook--"We know that children are a rejuvenating wellspring of love and wonder, and caring for them nurtures us as well as them. We know that our work results in more laughter, more discovery, more sleepovers, more birthdays, more cupcakes, more dances, more graduations and eventually more of us." ~Dr. Robert Hickey--and that is what I focus on during these tough times when kids who were doing so well come in SO sick. I love being able to make a difference in childrens' lives on a regular basis, and can often get paid to do that ;)
_________________________

Since it was slow at work and we can't get on facebook, I decided to see if I could catch up on some blog reading. I saw in a "tweet" that Sara/Gitz had posted something yesterday. She does Flashback Fridays sometimes, so I was curious as to what she had written. Now, I know I've mentioned Sara here previously. She is an amazing woman who has been able to find joy in the little things even when she can't so much as open a window, let alone leave her home. Only 100% healthy people can visit her and she lives in constant pain. And yet she writes some of the most beautiful posts and I am always left encouraged (and often guilty that I don't always treasure the little moments). It was so hard to keep the tears inside when I scrolled down to this post and read these words --"It’s me, Susie – Sara’s favorite (actually only) – guest blogger. I’m writing this guest post for her today with the heaviest of hearts. Sara received word today that her dad passed away suddenly of an apparent heart attack. He was out on a boat with Sara’s mom and her aunts and uncles on the most gorgeous of summer days. He was doing one of the things he loved most and had just winked at his wife. A few moments later, he mentioned that he didn’t feel well. He then collapsed and was unable to be revived by family or paramedics. It is still so hard to believe – he was the picture of health and he and Sara’s mom had just visited on the 4th of July. Please keep Sara in your thoughts and prayers..."

Stunned, speechless, saddened...and probably why you shouldn't read blog posts while at work ;)
I can't begin to imagine losing a parent suddenly like that and pray I never have to experience it. To make matters worse, my heart is just broken as to how she is going to be able to say good-bye to him and be with her family when she can't leave her house? I've definitely been praying for her health and that something can be figured out to make it so she can do what she needs to do to participate in the services or whatever would help her at this time.
___________________

Well, this was kind of a downer post, but at least I started with a cute picture ;) On a lighter note, I said good-bye to my parents because they are going on vacation tomorrow until Saturday and get to see the Grand Canyon :)

I'd better go to sleep so I can get the little one ready for her visit in the morning (usually her sister does that...ha!)

Good-night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails