Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, March 18, 2010

It Takes All Sorts

So, I'm glad that this blog is "anonymous" because then I can share some work stories (with some discretion of course now that I know how strict the privacy laws are!)

I've been SO bored at work the past couple weeks because our census has been low and I had an awesome student who took care of our patients pretty much independently. Typically, we have three patients on the day shift, but it had been a long time since we had any patients that were very sick, and many times only had two patients. So, I was kind of ASKING for a busy day...and, I was "busier", that's for sure...but more for social/support reasons than sick patient. Which made for quite the interesting day!

One of the moms had a gold tooth with a cross on it and wore pajamas all day long. She was the most "normal" of the three. Another mom came out to the desk to tell me that her child was about to throw up...I'm thinking maybe you should make sure your child has a bucket and maybe hold the hand or something of that matter, but whatever. That mom also brought her child to the desk to say she wanted me to look at her kid's butt...and came to find me when she wanted me to dump the stool and insisted on special butt cream that took hours to make and asked me just about every 15 minutes if it was ready. Her mom sat right in front of the table I needed to use and not once made an attempt to move even though I used the table every single time I came into the room. (Sorry if this sounds like they were being "normal", but I assure you that they were annoying when they came to "find" me for this and that and the other thing and told me what to do.) And, I heard the third mom on the phone saying they were going to take the cable box to the pawn shop so the dad could get gas in their vehicle and come to the hospital. She later asked me if I knew anything about "IUD's" to which my response was "um, no". She preceded to tell me that she had her IUD removed on Friday, but didn't get any other birth control and she and the baby's dad had "you know" and now she was feeling "bloated" and hoping she wasn't pregnant. And, yes, earlier she had asked for hospital pants because she had started her period...ai yi yi... I'm not exactly sure WHAT she wanted me to do with that information--not like I could tell her if she was or was not pregnant, or what to do about the fact she had seven children and didn't really want any more... It takes all sorts, people, it takes all sorts...and at least all of those moms really care about their kids and are doing their best...it just made for the non-boring day that I wanted :o) However, I WAS happy I didn't have to go back to work today because two of the three really had me spinning!

I did actually have a meeting this morning from 10:30-12:30 which got me up earlier, but it was REALLY nice today and would have been nice to have the whole day off. I ended up spending a little time sitting outside reading a book, but not nearly as much time as I had planned (to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what I did with my time between 12:30 and 2:00!) This afternoon, I met with my spiritual director and told her all about the events of the past month (it was a busy month!)

After I left, I noticed a missed call from my caseworker. She left two questions in my voice mail. She wanted to know how many bedrooms I had, and what schools my day care will transport kids to. When I called her back, she didn't give me much more information other than she had a call for siblings who needed to have separate bedrooms. Well, my other "guest room" is SUPPOSED to be an office/scrapbook room, but it basically a room with a lot of stuff that would not be able to become a bedroom any time in the near future. I didn't know the schools off hand, but sent her an email when I got home. Weird thing is, though, that the day care doesn't transport to the school down the street from me or to the one across the street from my parents. I should check to see what that's all about. She said that the younger kids go a lot faster, so I think I need to change my thinking and figure out my thoughts on that. I guess I didn't REALLY have an idea of how this becoming a foster mom thing was going to go, but I've had the idea of being a mom to a little girl since I WAS a little girl...however, I need to continue to trust that God has a plan, and be open to the fact that my time to be a "mom to a little girl"will come when/if it is supposed to...

My house is still not ready for someone else to share it with me, though, so I NEED to work on that tomorrow since the calls keep coming! Crazy that I was going to be watching a 5-month-old today, tomorrow, and Saturday...I wonder if I would have had a clean house if I knew I HAD to have a clean house!

I probably should make a "to-do list" to try and keep me focused tomorrow since I have NO plans (and no plans really isn't such a good thing for this super procrastinator!)

I decided to start the countdowns for my two upcoming trips...I'm SO excited!
Well, I'd better get to bed since I have "big plans" for tomorrow :o)
Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails