Anyway, I still didn't feel the greatest yesterday, so planned on a day of lounging around (yes, ANOTHER one...I seriously only worked 1 1/2 shifts last week...I will have a rude awakening this week!) I helped with the phonathon at my high school from 9-noon, then went to the bank and picked up my new contact. I started my plans for an afternoon of watching TV on the couch when a friend from work called. She was out and about with her daughter, but needed to go to work to take care of something and asked if I could come keep her company. So, I packed a fun bag and played with a four-year-old for a little over an hour :o) It was really nice (and a very good reason to get off the couch!) I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening just vegging out watching TV. I took a little nap and played some songs on my piano. Since I pretty much had enough TV, I went to bed a little early and decided to read for a while.
I am a HUGE fan of the show Medium (which changed networks and nights and has thrown me off, but I don't think I have missed an episode!) and watched Friday's show yesterday afternoon. I was reminded that I bought this book in a bargain bin a while back, but had never even really looked at it. Monarchs are "special" to me, especially when thinking about my teacher who passed away this week. So, it seemed like the perfect time to read "Secrets of the Monarch". I read less than 40 pages, but there was so much that spoke to me and I REALLY needed to read last night.
Here are a few points that stood out:
"...the monarch butterfly takes several generations to complete its journey north, only to turn around and fly back to where its great-grandparents came from...the monarch concept is that our individual lives are part of a bigger story involving our friends and our family..." (p. xiii, xv) [this goes on to point out that our lives are the way they are because of generations before us, and our lives now will affect those of the people to come...I also like the new show "Who do you think you are?" :o)] "We cant's live forever, but a part of us will remain through memories of us and will contineu to move our family and friends forward. Everyone has a path to walk that will help someone he or she loves to do more, be more, and learn more, so that person in turn can pass it on to future loved ones who will do the same, and so on....Remember, if you live well, you will die without regrets, and that is the key to being true to oneself and those we love." (p. xxi-xxii)
"Take a chance and make your time here memorable. Remember, taking risks is what legends are made of." (p. 27)
"So much can be learned from those who lived and died before us...I've learned to live in the moment, love with all you have, and don't let others design who you are. You be the artist of you." (p. 39)
The "tag-line" (I guess that's what it's called) is "What the dead can teach us about living a better life". Now, I'm not going to say whether or not I "believe" in "mediums", but I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of her perspective. And, I don't think picking up this book could have come at a more perfect time :o)
Well, it's 30 minutes to "bed time" so I should say good night so I can read some more. I spent today with my sister getting my hair done (colored and cut...I'll post pictures when I can, but the color doesn't really show up that well unless I'm in a certain light). This evening, I volunteered again for the fundraiser at my high school. I realized today that I have something going on every single night for the next three weeks...crazy! Guess that means maybe I'm NOT ready for a child to be placed in my home?! Not sure...we shall see!
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment