Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lucky Girl

Even though I am orienting a nurse new to my unit and today was her third day, I decided to try to get the day off if I could. Our census was low, so I got to be "on call" (and didn't get called in...yay!) 

The past two days were "drama" with the teen and her mom (and the teen and her "group projects" at school), so I thought it would be good to have the day off to help with that. Her mom was very angry at her for staying here last night even though it was only because she was trying to work on a project. We did end up watching  a movie, but only because her partner never responded to her texts to work on their project. If I went to work, I didn't know how she would have gotten home and she really did need to spend at least a part of Mother's Day with her mom/grandma. 

Plus, my dad was making brunch at their house, so if I was off, I got to see my mom, grandma, and sister on Mother's Day too :) (and my dad, brother-in-law, and nephews). 


The teen was working on her project while I went and had brunch with my family. My dad made French Toast which is probably my favorite breakfast. (Before I left my house, the teen and I had cinnamon rolls since she looked at me and said "you wanna make breakfast?"...I love that girl!)

After brunch and she was done working on her project, I brought her home. The little one was playing outside and came to my car to see me. She told me she loved me and gave me a hug. She delivered her mom's Mother's Day gift to her and her mom was appreciative. I made her a card with pictures and she loved it (of course, she had to say "I knew I was going to get one of these"...sure you did, you know everything...) She did invite me inside so she could open the gift, but "all" I got her was bath towels and though it was a thoughtful/practical gift, I thought it may be anticlimactic when the giant box was "just" towels (new and freshly washed ones though). I did regret not taking the opportunity to have a conversation with her though since it has been a while since we talked (and the last three conversations she had with the teen involved lots of "f-bombs" and were not very supportive of the teen doing her best to get good grades in her classes). But, it is what it is...I texted the teen this evening and she said her mom liked the towels and was "better" today.

I'm so thankful to have been given this day off to spend with the people I love...one hard thing about working in the hospital is "missing" special days like this, so I'm feeling really lucky/blessed today.

Happy Mother's Day to every woman who's ever loved someone more than herself...
Good night.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails