Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Friday, December 2, 2011

I Needed That

The past two days at work were extremely busy! We are overflowing with patients and all of them seem to have high needs. I ran my tail off for 12 hours both days and basically just sat down long enough to eat...lunch only. I did not get to eat breakfast either day, so both days the only thing I had in my stomach before 1:00 (after getting up at 6) was coffee (and Mike & Ike's from my Secret Santa yesterday). I think I maybe drank (at the most) two cups of water the entire day. It was seriously crazy (and I had to remind myself of my "3 P's" multiple times!)

I was going to title this post "Don't be an A*" as in, don't be an a-hole, or something similar, but opted against using that at this point. However, I've been taking care of a patient for the past three months nearly every day that I work. I get along great with her (she's a teenager) and her mom...as do most of the people on my floor. However, her dad really is not a nice person...at least that is the consensus of everyone who has had contact with him. So, most nurses do what they can to avoid taking this patient on the days her dad is there because he can, and often will, make your life/shift miserable. Thankfully, he isn't awful to me quite as often as he is to other people (I think because his daughter likes me), so I take her almost every time I work so I don't have to deal with crabby co-workers (and because I do like the kid most of the time).

Yesterday really was not an enjoyable day, likely due in part from having a very busy/stressful day on Wednesday but also because her dad was CRABBY. His child is rather sick which meant I had to make multiple trips into the room to do things to care for her needs. I could not avoid it and dreaded every time I had to walk down that hallway and into her room knowing I'd have "daggers" thrown at me every time. My other patients were sick and had "high needs" as well and I didn't have the time or the energy to deal with his negativity, rude comments, glares, etc. and it kind of made for a miserable day (thank goodness for my Secret Santa gift and empathetic co-workers who were definitely thankful it was me and not them...ha!)

I was exhausted when I got home (after getting fast food because I didn't want to wait for a frozen meal or making anything...I seriously need to get to the gym!) and my back, legs, and feet were sore. I sat on the couch for a little while watching TV and IMing with the teen and then headed to bed early. I was asleep by 11 and didn't set an alarm. I woke up at 8 when I needed to go to the bathroom. I quickly fell back asleep and didn't wake up again until 11:15! It wasn't like I was being lazy and just couldn't pull myself out of bed, I seriously slept solid the entire time (even with the sun coming through my window!) I guess I needed that...and am grateful that I COULD get that sleep that I obviously needed. I know it's a "privilege" that I don't take for granted, but it was a definite reminder of how tough my job really is (even though it's my Passion & Purpose and I Plan to continue doing it!) I'm thankful I had today off and tomorrow as well. I also may need to consider taking a break from that patient (I did take one a couple of weeks ago) except her mom will be back on Sunday and I enjoy visiting with her :) I seriously wish I could tell him to stop being an a-hole and maybe he'll get better results from the people who, need I remind him, are taking care of his child!

I am thankful that he is in the minority and most people really do appreciate the care that we give. It's unfortunate that they have been in the hospital this long so we have had to deal with the negativity and a-hole-ness for a very long time.

I talked about my "One Word" for 2011 at my therapy appointment on Tuesday and my Spiritual Director appointment today, so will have to do a "reflection" post at some point. I also think I know my "One Word" for 2012 and am looking forward to "unveiling" that. I have a busy day tomorrow (even though I'm "off"), so I'd better head to bed.

Good night :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails