Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Have to Have Friends

While the lyrics don't EXACTLY fit, that's the song that came to mind when I was thinking about what I would post about tonight.

Yesterday was a really fun day! I have been blessed with the most amazing friends and definitely realize that this is, indeed a "blessing". And, even more amazing is that many of these friends just kind of "showed up" at the most "random" (or, completely UN-random as it turns out) times. (Remember the friend I met on the beach when we were ten...yeah, like that!)

The day started off with an 8:30 meeting. Okay, not so much "fun", but in a meeting where my ideas and opinions are respected by people as high up as an "executive director", that is not too bad :o)

I had lunch with a friend who works in media relations. I think I first met her about three years ago and will NEVER forget that day! (I do not think she will either.) She was a new employee who was brought to a meeting I attended. She had recently left her job as a reporter at my favorite news station and, since this was before my blog-reading took over, I had spent lots of time reading about the people on the news. Even before she was introduced, I blurted out at least three (but hopefully less than ten!) "random facts" about her that I had seen on the web site/heard on the news. Seriously, totally NOT joking about this! And yet, "somehow" we became friends. There is a restaurant that is "our place" and we get together every couple of months, and always have a lot of fun. Yesterday was no exception. Our conversation ran the gamut from breastfeeding advice for my sister, her listening to my "rant" about the way they are doing things, discussions about patients/families, my "date", possible changes for her and her family, and even a discussion about faith. Too bad I won't be able to make it to the Life-a-Thon this year because I had fun with her the past two years.

After lunch, I checked with the girls to see if they wanted to go to the zoo. They decided to stay at home. So, I met up with my friend who is mom to "the baby" that likely needs a new name and her daughters and went with them. (Remember when I met her?! Yeah, really glad I blogged about that because it is really neat to read those words now, over sixteen months later.) I made a little collage of some of the fun we had :o)



Did you notice THIS picture?!



Would you believe that it is THIS kid?! (This picture was actually taken six weeks AFTER his transplant...more pics on this post.)



We had a great time, and were even able to visit some in between chasing kids and making sure there wasn't TOO much pestering of the sisters going on. I really am glad that I have "documentation" of that first meeting because, even then it felt like a "God thing", and it is awesome to look back and see what He has done.

I had to rush home after the zoo to get ready for my softball game. (As a side note, I ran into one of my parents' friends that we have known "forever" when I was at the restaurant, and other of their "forever friends" when I was at the zoo...my PARENTS have some awesome friends too!)

My softball team won our fifth game in a row and it was SO much fun! Most of the girls on the team I have known for a VERY long time which makes it even more fun.

After my game, I talked to a couple of my sweet friends I met through "blogging" (who woulda thought?! ha!) Yesterday was a tough day for them (and I'm thinking my other "blog friends" have been dealing with "issues" too...what's up with that?!)... Anyway, again I thought of a song. It is called "You're not alone". Not sure if it will "move" you the way it did me, but is definitely worth sharing. I searched to try and find a better video option, but hope this works. I have included the lyrics below in case you can't hear them (the song is also in my playlist if you can find it!)



Not sure if the video will work, but here are the lyrics:
You're Not Alone ~Meredith Andrews
I searched for love
When the night came and it closed in
I was alone
but you found me where I was hiding
and though I'll never ever be the same
It was the sweetest voice that called my name
singing

You're not alone
For I am here
let me wipe away every fear
My love I've never left your side
I have seen you through the darkest night
and I'm the one that's loved you all your life
All of your life

You cry yourself to sleep
cause the hurt is real
and the pain cuts deep
All hope seems lost
With heartache your closest friend
and everyone else long gone

You've had to face the music on your own
but there is a sweeter song that calls you home
**sayin'

You're not alone
For I am here
let me wipe away your every tear
My love I've never left your side
I have seen you through the darkest nights
And I'm the one that's love you all your life
All your life

Faithful and true... Forever
For my love will carry you....

You're not alone
for I... I am here
let me wipe away every fear... Oh yeah
My love I've never left your side
I have seen you through your darkest nights
Your darkest nights
And I'm the one that's loved you all your life
All of your life

Today I went back to work after being off for three days. We had a pot luck so there was tons of yummy food :o) It was a good day, and I got to my mom and dad's in time to have dinner with them, the Japanese girls, and my parents' friends and their two daughters. Tomorrow, I think I have convinced my sister to bring my nephew shopping with me and the girls. It has not happened yet, so I'm not holding my breath, but I hope it works out because that would be fun.

Well, I've been "working" on this post for over two and a half hours and am not sure I put all the emotions/thoughts I am having into it. But, I DO know that I have amazing friends...and that they are huge blessings to me. My friends keep me grounded, they put things into perspective, make me think, challenge me, encourage me, listen to me, support me, and definitely put up with a lot of craziness! :o)

I'd better head to bed...with all the crazy thoughts running around in my head right now, I hope I don't have any crazy dreams! (Although, I would definitely take an "insightful" one...maybe one that fixes all my "issues"...ha ha...only in my dreams...hee hee!)

Good night.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails