Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cultural Exchange

I know, I've been a TERRIBLE blogger! There has definitely been a lot going on, but for whatever reason have not really felt like blogging about it. This blog was set up to be my journal/diary so I probably SHOULD be "blogging", but it is what it is. I recently heard a really good speaker at my church. That brought about some good reflecting and perspectives.

My parents have two high school girls from Japan staying with them for the week. From what I have gathered, they are members of a church (this one actually) and got to come here because of something with their church. They also visited a couple other U.S. cities along with one teacher. Last night (well, Sunday night), my parents and I took them to a house where they had a service before we went to dinner (at a Chinese buffet...ha ha!). It was really interesting (and, if it wasn't after 1:00 in the morning, I probably would write about all the thoughts that swirled through my head relating the speaker to the service to other things I have heard and learned, but it IS after 1 in the morning, so will leave it as "interesting").

I tried to take a picture of the words to the prayer they sang. It didn't turn out very well, but you get the idea. We were able to follow somewhat, although the way they pronounce their vowels is slightly different than ours. There also was an altar set with some offerings, but I didn't catch what all was there. And, I didn't take a picture of that because it didn't really seem appropriate.



The girls don't really speak that great of English, but I don't know any Japanese, so I can't exactly "judge" (especially since they are just visiting!) I am sure they understand more than it seems, and harder to speak than it is to understand. I believe my family has hosted nearly a dozen Japanese students. Some for a day or two, others for a couple weeks during school breaks. A number of them were college girls, but the past few have been high schoolers from this same program.

Today was supposed to be my dad's day off, so he asked if I wanted to go with them to the zoo since I was off too. That sounded great to me! Then, he got called into work and my parents asked if I would give them something to do. Not exactly how I had planned my day, but I didn't think it would be very nice to leave them at my parents' house all day with nothing to do while I sat at home staring at my computer...

So, I did my normal morning workout and coffee, then picked them up to go downtown. My dad decided he would bring them to the zoo after he got off work, so I decided this would be fun. I hardly ever go downtown and today REALLY wondered why! I like to get all sad about not living near the ocean anymore so I can't go read by the water. Well, apparently downtown has quite a bit of water, some of it even pretty flowing water that definitely could work to sit by with a book! I definitely need to remember this and hang out down there some time.



Well, I best be heading to bed since "tomorrow" will be busy. I have a meeting in the morning, then meeting a friend for lunch. My friend with "the baby" (who may need a new name here since he is HUGE!) is in town this week and we are thinking about going to the zoo. If the girls are up to another zoo trip, they will be welcome to come with us. Then, I have my second-to-last softball game.

Oh, my "date"...almost forgot to mention that...ha ha! It was fun and he got my number, so hopefully there will be more "fun" to come. One day at a time...


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steph said...

I spent a few weeks in Japan...the culture is amazing! I wish I had enjoyed it more, but I was so jetlagged that I didn't know which way was up for the first few days.

Date???? Please explain more :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails