Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Break From Tradition

Besides the one summer I lived out-of-state, I cannot remember the last time I did not watch the fireworks after the baseball game. While it is possible we missed one or two, I definitely do not remember that! Even when I had to work at 7 AM the morning after them, I still went because it is "tradition" and SO much fun!

Although I had to work today, I wasn't going to miss this year (good thing my nephew wasn't born yesterday or that could have been a "tough call" ;o) ). My friend from high school was able to come and bring her nearly 3-year-old. We got to have front row seats with my dad (my mom "couldn't" go to the game since she was staying with my sister and brother-in-law for the week...yes, they live "almost" 10 miles away...). Two of my aunts and their families also came, but sat in a different section...



With the fireworks game, we never really care who wins as long as it is a fast one so they can get on with the fireworks! Well, I'm not sure what inning it started raining, but at first it wasn't very hard. My friend, her son, and I went and sat with my relatives under the canopy for a little while until it stopped. Of COURSE the game was tied after nine innings, so extra innings it was...but, at least it was still relatively early in the night. At the end of the tenth inning, it was still tied and that is when the sky opened and buckets of water started falling from it. My friend's son was GREAT through ten innings, but at that point started saying "I want to go home!" Yes, buddy, we want to go home too! We were DRENCHED! Thankfully, one of the "perks" we have for this game is getting "rock star parking" so did not have to walk very far to our cars!



Yes, I pretty much "stripped" in my living room and took a picture of my soaking wet clothes...you can't quite tell how wet they are, but I tried! Believe me, there wasn't a dry spot on my jacket and my capris were getting pretty heavy since they were so soaked! I was happy to be wearing flip flops!

Of course by the time we left the parking lot, the rain had slowed and had completely stopped by the time I got home. My relatives stayed to watch the fireworks that started shortly after that...you know, since they were DRY! The fireworks are set to music and I listened to the music, but it just was not the same. They played some tribute to Michael Jackson music and I wish I could have seen what those fireworks looked like! It was really sad to be sitting at home missing the fireworks...even though having dry clothes was pretty exciting, it didn't quite make up for the fact that I MISSED the fireworks!

I have to work again tomorrow, so didn't go to any parties tonight...I AM listening to the fireworks outside now, though, and can see some of them. I did watch some cool ones on television which isn't QUITE the same, but still fun.

Did anyone notice that my last post didn't have any baby pictures?! Well, this one will make up for that!



Last day with the bili lights...my sister called him her "little glow worm" which fits pretty well :o)



This is my attempt at trying to use the photography advice I have gotten...I am definitely still a work in progress! It was a cloudy day, but I was still trying to use the natural light from their big front windows...I'm thinking I should have at least turned on a lamp in their living room. However, to the naked eye, I don't think it is obvious that I had him laying on an ottoman for some of them and that my sister took some of them while I was holding him...I had to at least TRY to get some neat pictures from his first week since, as far as I know, they have not made any appointments with a professional photographer yet.

Well, back to work tomorrow and I'm pretty tired. Again, I was shown how much attitude can change things. I have taken care of one patient every single time I have worked since I got back from my eighteen-day vacation. Today I was not "assigned" that patient, so I knew it was going to be "different"...but possibly a welcome change. Then, it appeared I was "stuck" with two nurses that I'm kind of (hmm, don't know how to type that sound) "indifferent" I guess, but the other three were also kind of, "eh"...wow, am I glad that this isn't my "for real" holiday team! Anyway, at the end of the day, I realized that I definitely was given the best-case-scenario. My "side" started with seven patients (three nurses). Through the day, "we" sent one patient to transplant (always a bittersweet time), got a patient out of the ICU who was doing better, a patient who was ambulanced from another hospital to our floor, another admission who actually was kind of sick, and sent a patient home. So, if I have counted correctly, we ended with eight patients who looked pretty different than the ones we started with! However, it didn't ACTUALLY seem like that crazy of a day...and, any other combination of the other three nurses with me probably would have made for a not-so-fun day. Of course, we had a pot luck and I ate my first plate in maybe seven minutes and then an hour and a half or so later I got to eat my "seconds" in maybe eleven minutes...then, the rest of the day was borderline "slow" (of COURSE it has to be crazy busy when you are "starving"!) And, it only took 30 seconds for me to finish off a chocolate brownie with an hour left of my shift :o)

Back to work tomorrow...I am feeling like it will be a good day...and, as I have learned, "attitude is everything"...at least MOST everything!

Good night!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails