Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, October 4, 2012

One year, 4 days...Four weeks

It's been one year and four days since my first foster placements went home after living here for 16 months. It has been four weeks since I got my second foster placement. I had no idea what was going to happen in the days, weeks, months, year after I said "good-bye" on that day. Little did I know that the teen would end up spending so much time with me, including living here for half the summer. She hasn't stayed here in about two weeks which is the longest amount of time she has spent in a row at home since April (or maybe even since February!) I noticed that she took $260 out of her bank account yesterday and nearly overdrew her checking, so I have no idea what's going on, but I'm praying that everything is okay. I haven't talked to her mom in probably six weeks, but the teen says things are fine and her sister is okay too (not sure her "okay" is the same as mine, but it is what it is and I pray she isn't as "bad off" as I imagine).

Things with my new placement are going well. I named her "Zoe" here and on twitter and have actually almost called her that a couple of times. We have a pretty good routine, although it is pretty crazy. I rarely get her to bed by 9:30 (usually 9:45/9:50) and on days I work, we leave here at 6:00. On days I'm off, we have to be up BY 7:15 in order to get everything done before school starts at 8:45. She only has one week left of her antibiotic nebulizer, so that will shorten her treatment times by quite a bit. I hope her infection is clear, otherwise I think that means she would have to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics (and then likely home with them with more treatments). It seems like she is doing well and I've been giving her all her medication, but I need to remind myself that she does have a chronic illness and could possibly end up in the hospital (although less likely since she is being "properly cared for" at this time). She has gained about two pounds since being placed with me and I can feel every ounce when I carry her asleep to the car at 6 AM (she still weighs less than the 50 pound suitcase with her equipment/medications that I drag back and forth between home and day care...that makes me very thankful I only work 3 days a week!)

She was off school (she goes to Head Start) on Friday and Monday, so we went to the Pumpkin Patch. Her visit last Friday was canceled, so we had the WHOLE day to ourselves and it was really fun (she has visits Monday through Friday from right after school until 7:30 so she is dropped off around 7:45/8:00). Tomorrow's visit is also canceled, but I am scheduled to work (although our census has been low, so I could end up with the day off), so it won't feel like it's canceled since I get off at that time anyway.

I'm not sure what is going to happen with her (besides plan for reunification), but I heard that the case is going to go to a trial (no idea what that means). The next court date is December 3rd and I was told that it is unlikely that anything would/could change with visitation/placement before then. So, I will probably have her for another two months. I feel like I have made quite the impact in the four weeks I have had her, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how well she will be doing two months from now :)







Until the next time...keep all of us in your prayers...this crazy, but blessed life of ours :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails