Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Keeping Busy

I have been wanting to post an update on how things are going, but it's been super busy and I'm too tired to stay awake much after Zoe does most nights. She is doing well and is really sweet. She likes the teen, which is good since the teen was here nearly every day last week (I haven't talked to her since Monday this week though). Last week was pretty exhausting since I worked my three shifts during the week, took the teen to the University that's 60 miles away twice (once for a conference and once for a football game), and still had to do all Zoe's treatments and continue to coordinate everything (I am SOOOOO sick of telephone calls!) Her treatments take about an hour in the morning and an hour at night. The day care does them on the days that I work which helps, but it is rare that I get her to bed before 9:45 PM...SO late! Usually, she is up about 6:30, but I have to leave by 6:00 on the days that I work and we can't sleep much past 7 since she has to be at school between 8:45 and 9. She has visits M-F from after school until 8:00, so many days I only see her for treatments, snack, bath, book, and bed. She has tomorrow and Monday off school and I may "forget" to tell people so I can actually spend some time with her (I had last weekend off, so did get time, but it was a lot of time with the teen too and my sister watched her all day on Saturday). Tomorrow, we are planning a trip to the Pumpkin Patch after her doctor appointment.

So, there's a quick update. It's sometimes a little crazy, but mostly it's good. She is cute and goes to bed really easily/sleeps through the night/is fully potty trained/can keep herself occupied while I do things around the house...so I really don't have any reason to complain ;) The case is kind of crazy and it almost seems like there are people who think she's the problem there was medical non-compliance (one of the reasons for removal), not her mom which is SO weird...they are super "yay mom". So, I'm not sure how long she'll be here, but hopefully long enough to have a good stretch of healthy days. Cystic fibrosis is a fatal disease (2008 data from that link says average survival 37.4 years) and not being properly cared for as a young child definitely doesn't help matters :(

Hopefully things will "settle down" and we can get into some kind of routine. It's challenging with her five day a week visits, school schedule, and my "abnormal" work hours, but we're doing the best we can :)
Until the next time...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails