It's been an internal struggle for weeks and I finally decided I would say something...tonight.
I set the stage in what I thought would be a pleasant conversation where I would be the one in tears, not her. I was hoping my approach would give her an opportunity to speak and share her thoughts on what happened and give me some direction on what she would like me to do.
The conversation started out okay. I told her she has lived her a long time (9 months) and I know I am not her mom. I asked her if she knew how much I cared about her and if she knew I loved her...she nodded yes. I told her that I care so much about her and when she hurts, I hurt (I wrote a post about that) and that I am so very proud of her. Then, I went to the point of what happened 3rd quarter with those grades since they were so unlike her. I reminded her that she told me at the beginning of the quarter she wanted to get better grades this semester and how often she talks about college. I told her that certain things she can control, like homework grades and asking for help, and agree that some things are just harder for her and maybe C's and D's are her best...
I'm not sure at what point she went into her wall up, withdrawn, I'm not going to look at you or talk to you mode, but that's where we ended up. And then the tears started to fall (hers, not mine this time).
So, then it was just me talking to her and her not responding. I asked her if she thought I was disappointed in her, and assured her that most definitely was not the case. I asked if she was disappointed in herself, and told her she really shouldn't be. She wouldn't respond to anything, so I just kept talking and told her again how proud I am of her, that I am here to help her reach her goals, that she is so very special to me and I want the best for her...and she continued to cry.
I asked if she wanted to be left alone, she shook her head yes and is watching her favorite show.
I told her that my goal of that conversation was not to make her cry and I had no clue that was going to happen. It wasn't meant to be a tough conversation, but she does need to learn how to deal with them in a manner other than shutting down because that doesn't work so well when you are a "grown up". I just heard her make a sound at the TV, so maybe I'll see if she has anything to say...probably not, but worth a shot!
I have the next three days off and I'm hoping to get some things done around the house (since I don't have to deal with their mom-yay! ;) )
Good night.
1 comment:
hi! Me and my two cents! :)
Something is just not right there, it seems... with the teen. I mean it's like damned if you push... damned if you don't.
Its so hard being a mom isn't it?! And I know you don't want her to shut down completely. But I think maybe here you need to be even more firm than before. Keep after her about her homework and grades... until she shows that she's doing better and can be trusted to handle this on her own and ask for help when needed. Apparently she isn't doing it even though you made it open for her to do so. Maybe you need to take the lead on this one, and just stay on her back until things start to look up. Be the wicked witch of the west if you have to to show you are serious.
Teens never ever make it easy. It appears to me that if left to her own devices, Teen will do whatever she wants. Watch TV. Be on the computer. Pretend to study. But her grades are showing the truth aren't they? I dunno... because truly only you can decide on that. You're the one there and involved with the dynamic that is the teen.
Post a Comment