Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This and That






The past few weeks, I have had a number of people ask me if I've lost weight, a couple going so far as to say that I've lost "a lot" of weight. The scale actually does say that I've lost about 10 pounds (give or take 3) in the past 9 months. However, I don't feel "thin" and only sometimes can tell that my clothes fit differently. I thought I'd pull out pictures from last year's church fundraiser and ones from this weekend to compare. Honestly, I still can't really tell from pictures, but will admit that it's nice having a waist ;) (thank you thirty pound 3 1/2 year old who likes to be carried ;) )

I did have fun at the fundraiser with my parents. I didn't invite "ice skating boy" since we were/are mostly just "texting" a couple of times a week. I did go out with him again last week (Date #5??) and we went to a concert (so as not to give away my location accidentally, I can't say who we saw, but it was C-razy, and not at all who you'd expect me to see ;) ) Even in text messages, he makes me laugh and we did have fun hanging out just the two of us people watching and enjoying the music. 

Yesterday, I had an unexpected day off, so I met my sister and nephew at a place with workout equipment for kids. The little one spent most of the time on the rings, not on the trampoline, but this picture doesn't show her face. My nephew just got his hair cut and he looks like a little boy! I'm researching day care/pre-school for the little one because she still isn't getting the play with other kids memo like she should. After last week when she just cried when I tried to put her in a room with three kids and preferred staring at the wall, I decided enough is enough. She is doing very well after her transition to her own room (still half my junk room, but her side looks nice!) The teen hasn't said anything about the move, but I think she will like that neither of us really need to go into her room for anything.



Speaking of the teen, she is getting excited about an out-of-town school trip she gets to take and an FBLA conference she gets to attend. She keeps telling me about future plans and it seems like she is planning things as if she will be with me forever, which is cool, but also sad. She wants me to take her to a college baseball game and campus tour. After another homework "zero" and a weekend of "matter of fact" telling me she was going to fail her quizzes/tests yesterday, I told her last night that I want to bring her, but she's going to have to do something about her attitude and grades. She cried, said I always jump to conclusions, and to forget about it. Today, I read this post by Julia-Kate and this one by Alece. I was reminded me once again how lucky I am that I don't have any trouble crying and also that the teen's "I'm fine" and difficulty in clearly defining/expressing her feelings isn't surprising since it's hard for grown women too! Perfect timing on those posts, that's for sure. Tonight, after a number of deep breaths and conversation practicing, the teen had me pause the TV so she could talk to me. With tears in her eyes, she said she owed me an apology for her behavior, that she wants me to take her to the baseball game, and she will do what she needs to do for her classes. I praised her for her "bravery" (courage would have been a better word, but whatever ;) ) and told her that I love her and wouldn't expect anything I didn't know she could do. I reminded her that her teachers and I are here to help her be successful. She didn't say anything else, but did acknowledge that she knows I love her and allowed me to give her a hug (as she stuck a tissue to her "booger nose" ;) ).

I think she may want me to help her with something before we go to bed, so I ought to wrap this up, but that's what's going on in these parts ;)

Good night.

2 comments:

The Pittsburgh Hites said...

Look at A, he's so adorable with that haircut!!!! I'm sorry the little one isn't doing well with play dates, we really need to be closer. Fionn wouldn't let her sit in the corner!
Hugs friend, you look great!!

Anonymous said...

ooooooh! didn't know you were still seeing Boy! exciting...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails