Saturday, I brought the girls to a visit from 9-3. I told their mom I needed to pick them up that early since I was going to an event (the annual fundraiser for my/the teen's high school). However, if she had someone who could bring them back later, that was fine with me. She told me she didn't want to ask anyone to help. Okay, fine, whatever ;) I got my hair colored/done in the morning while they were gone and admit to looking pretty darn cute to go out for the evening. I asked my mom to be my DD (I ended up having 5 glasses of wine, so good call ;) ). I didn't get any pictures taken, though, and that's a bummer! My hair will never again look so cute :(
I left the teen in charge of the little one for the evening as a "baby-sitter" and it was so awesome to see her in baby-sitter mode instead of going straight to mommy mode. Just knowing that I have given her the opportunity to be a "kid" for the past 8+ months feels great :) I had a super fun time at the event (um, 5 glasses of wine, it'd be pretty hard not to...ha!) and visited with lots of different people. Some of them know the teen and it warmed this "mom"'s heart to hear other people say how great she is too :) That school really is a terrific fit for her and I pray that her mom will see that and do what it takes for her to continue going there. I came home to a sleeping little one and a clean house...bonus! :)
Yesterday morning, the girls and I went to Mass together. After Mass, I dropped the little on off at her mom's house. She stayed with her mom all day, all night, and then all day today. So, their mom had all four "little" one's without the teen to help her yesterday. I think that's something that NEEDS to happen during this transition for it to be a successful one. Last night, their mom just had the little one and she just had her today. So, they got one-on-one time which is also something that needs to happen during this transition. I'm not sure what all they did, but do know that she didn't take a nap today because they were running all over the place and I had to pick her up at a thrift store (a different one than the one she told me they would be at and she didn't bother to walk to the place where they were supposed to be since I started walking in their direction...nice.) She fell asleep in the car on the way home at 4:30 which is totally not a good nap time. Thankfully, she wasn't too crabby when she got woken up from her nap this time! Oh well, I guess I'm going to have to be prepared for a tired/crabby 3-year-old during this transition. I opted to skip a visit for tomorrow since I was a little irritated by today. I'm the one who provides transportation and it rather disrupts my day, so I'm not going to do it tomorrow. However, I think I'll bring her there on Thursday for another one-on-one day/overnight/day before I bring the teen there on Friday evening for their weekend visit.
While the little one was getting one-on-one with her brothers and mom, I was having super quality one-on-one with the teen :) After we dropped off the little one, we had brunch with my parents. She'd been talking about this event for weeks that was basically a college fair for the big university near here. So, we went to that and spent nearly 3 hours discovering more about the different majors and campus activities, got free stuff, and enjoyed each other's company. She got a new t-shirt and shared her free pens with me :) It was a really nice day and just felt like we should go for a walk. So, we walked to a Subway that's probably half a mile away, ate, then walked back. Then, we watched the Grammy's and played a game of Skip-Bo. We seriously spent all day together and it was fabulous. I just love her! Of course, I had to be all cheesy/dorky and tell her how much I enjoyed spending time with her and that it kinda made me emotional since she's so great :) I was sad to (partially) hear how her mom treated her on the phone when I suggested she call the little one to tell her good night. It was their first (only?) night apart since she went to summer camp for two nights back in July, so I imagined it would be hard for both of them. However, their mom was kind of like "why are you calling?"...at least that's what it sounded like to me. :(
Tonight, we went to dinner at a nearby Chinese restaurant and I got both of them Valentine's Day cards/gifts. I kind of forgot about getting anything for their mom from them, but am not really feeling guilty/bad about that...I did give the caseworker a card and $5 gift card...ha! Now, the little one is in bed and the teen and I have been sitting on the couch together (with computers in our laps) for the past 2 hours "watching" TV.
Tomorrow, I'll get some one-on-one time with the little one. :)
That's what's been going on around here...Happy Valentine's Day :)
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment