I showed up Downtown a little before 9 for court at 9:30 since I had no clue where I was going. I plugged my meter for 2 hours. Little did I know HOW late the judge runs and I'm pretty sure someone plugged my meter because I definitely wasn't back to my car until 11 and there was 45 minutes left on it.
I was warned about this judge...that she is very unpredictable, has sent lawyers out in handcuffs, and kicked social workers off the case. I was also told to watch for bright red lipstick because then she's REALLY in "a mood". I guess I wanted to be a fly on a wall just for that...but wasn't really excited about being there.
I freaked out my whole walk from my car to the courthouse that I would run into the girls' mom at one of the bus stops or something, but thankfully that didn't happen. I ended up getting off one elevator at the same time my agency worker was getting off another one. Phew!
She and I talked for a while and then we listened as the state worker and service coordinator talked to mom's lawyer without her...she seemed to be "ok"(kind of) with being excluded from this conversation and they also decided not to include her report (weird, I thought, but whatever). Mom was there with her aunt, but I don't think I fully made eye contact with her...even though I wasn't there to be "against" her, because everyone is there for the kids, I wasn't sure what she would think and didn't want to have any contact with her on that occasion.
I actually got to talk to the GAL briefly before court (shocking...I have seen him once and talked to him on the phone one other time during this six months) and gave him my two cents on how great the girls are doing and that my biggest concern about them going back is the teen getting to and from school. Apparently, their brothers were moved to another foster home without any socks, coats, shoes, gloves, hats, or warm clothes. Seriously?! I can't imagine sending foster kids from my home to another without adequate clothing...that is really sad!
It seemed like a pretty tame courtroom from what I was imagining. I sat way in the back corner with my agency worker, so I'm not sure the judge could even see me from where I was sitting. I was so nervous she would want to ask me something (and she DID look out to see if the boys' foster parent was there...yikes!)
But, my anxiety was all for naught and she didn't even look my direction. She also didn't agree to start the transition back to home until mom has a bigger place. She is going to consider overnight visits with a couple of kids at a time, but that will not start until the report comes out. Mom's lawyer asked for another hearing in 6-8 weeks, but I suppose if she gets adequate housing between now and then, they could probably start the transition since that's the "only" thing that is keeping them in foster care. It's really sad that housing is the big issue...and has seriously been the only thing she needed to fix between the last time she went to court and now. (I'm pretty sure this is WAY more than I am supposed to be sharing about the case, but I trust the people who read this understand the confidentiality statement I put on this blog :) )
So, long story short (or long story long--ha!), the girls will be with me for "a while" longer.
Now I'm just hoping mom comes to get them on Saturday so I can do on my "date" ;)
1 comment:
thank you so much for the update! Yeah, I was a bit worried that the girls had to go right then and there and that it might have broken your heart to the point that you didn't want to talk to anyone. I have an overactive imagination at times, I'll admit.
While it is sad that the girls cannot be with their bio mom yet... I still think its best that they are with you where it is safe and warm and secure. I think you know this, even though you keep saying how unfortunate it is that they can't be with their bio mom. It IS unfortunate, yes, but at the same time I can't help but think it really isn't THAT unfortunate. They've got you! :)
Post a Comment