I need to focus on that smile, the smile that still sometimes disappears for longer than I would like, but shows up much more often than it did when she first came to live here. I love this girl, and her smile.
This afternoon, after (at least) four cancellations/postponements, her mom is taking her shopping for a dress to wear to the formal that is now merely FIVE days from now.
I just found out that her mom will be taking her to the G00dwill and that left me with tears dripping down my face. Seriously, that's their mother-daughter outing?! She NEVER spends one-on-one time with her oldest daughter and this is how she is choosing to spend it?! Granted, I will definitely pray that the perfect dress is there, but I'm not holding my breath. This girl, this sweet girl, deserves to go to her Sophomore formal wearing something that makes her smile.
I'm glad I skipped the "family team meeting" this morning because their mom refused to admit that the only one NOT trying hard is her. I had a conversation with her on Saturday letting her know that I felt like I was the one doing all of the arranging/accommodating/communicating and she was giving nothing back. Of course, she disagreed and I had to back peddle a little bit so she wouldn't get angry with me to the point of turning her daughter against me, but I feel MUCH better after getting it off my chest (getting a massage before that conversation definitely helped...ha!)
I'd better get back to working on a report on what's been going on with visits and communication. I found out at 6:00 this morning that my sister was sick (she texted me at 3:30, but I didn't get it until then). There was no way she could watch the little one in her condition and I had to be at work by 7. This was the first time I had to go in "Plan B mode" and it did not go well. I ended up finding respite care at 6:50 and told work I could get there by 9. They had already figured things out and marked me down sick, but decided to keep me "on call". I probably could have gotten there by 8, but it was too late to change things back. So, I woke someone up at 6:50, paid her $40, and have been "chilling" at home without any kids all day (after completely messing things up at work).
So, it hasn't been the best few days (yesterday was super crazy busy at work and I guess the "upside" is I didn't have to go back to that!), but it makes me smile to see her smile (and her sister) :)
Update: The teen came home from the MALL with an absolutely perfect dress. It was a definite answer to prayers (yes, I did pray for her to find a "perfect" dress!) Maybe I can sneak a picture of it tomorrow to put on here (without her in it, obviously). It is really cute, above the knee black spaghetti strap dress with a purple sash. Both of us are purple fans and it is just perfect. She got some heels and just looks great (she was ALL smiles when she got home!) I am SO happy for her and am really looking forward to "experiencing" Saturday with her :) Also, I'm going to have to give her mom a "point" because she actually (finally) did what she said she would do. I think her mom said it was $70 for the shoes and dress together which is just awesome!
Update: The teen came home from the MALL with an absolutely perfect dress. It was a definite answer to prayers (yes, I did pray for her to find a "perfect" dress!) Maybe I can sneak a picture of it tomorrow to put on here (without her in it, obviously). It is really cute, above the knee black spaghetti strap dress with a purple sash. Both of us are purple fans and it is just perfect. She got some heels and just looks great (she was ALL smiles when she got home!) I am SO happy for her and am really looking forward to "experiencing" Saturday with her :) Also, I'm going to have to give her mom a "point" because she actually (finally) did what she said she would do. I think her mom said it was $70 for the shoes and dress together which is just awesome!
1 comment:
You are so incredibly sweet!!! I love that you're noticing her smile and appreciating it. I don't need to see a picture of her face to feel her smiling by your description!
Post a Comment