Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Text of Thanks

I know I haven't blogged in a bit, but it's been busy :)

A little background info before I share this "conversation": This morning, we were to have our "family team meeting". On Sunday, the girls' mom said she couldn't come. I found it odd that we would have a "family team meeting" without her, but was just going to "go with it". Monday, I found out that she changed it from 10:00 to 9:30 and it was confirmed by the Service Coordinator yesterday (since I wouldn't put it past her to just tell me she changed it, but it not "officially" be changed!) On the agenda was to be some pretty difficult/challenging questions for her regarding the future care of her children. I was very interested to see/hear what the plans were...and hear her answers to these questions.

She texted me this morning at 8:35 (reminder: meeting scheduled for 9:30) to say (FYI: all of her texts will be edited since she likes to use "0" for "o" and doesn't always text full words/spell correctly): "I won't be available for the family team meeting, can you text me the service coordinator's number?"

Yes, seriously canceling the meeting less than an hour before it was to begin...not a good idea in my opinion, but obviously she has had an issue with her choices in the past. I gave her the service coordinator's phone number at work, forgetting I had her cell number too. I left a message for the DHHS worker at his office as well as one for my agency worker on her cell and at the office (obviously, it was before 9:00, so none of them were at the office yet!) At 9:00, I realized I had the service coordinator's cell number and called her to let her know about the cancelation (well, I didn't know if it would be "canceled" or if we would just meet without her). She got in touch with the mom, the meeting was "postponed" until next week (on a day that I can't go...annoying!) I was able to reach my agency worker, before she left, but received a phone call from the DHHS worker in the afternoon letting me know he waited there until after 10:00 since he didn't get the message about it being canceled. He definitely was irritated and I apologized a number of times, even though I know it wasn't MY fault! Fabulous that I'm the one communicating these things, but apparently she likes me...which is good, but in the back of my mind, I'm preparing either for the other foot to drop or for her to expect something ridiculous out of me.

Okay, back to our "texts"...and the "text of thanks" that brought about the need to post this ;)

She is supposed to have visits Friday evenings, Saturdays, and Sundays, but started a job yesterday so things may change. She said we could talk today at the meeting about the plans for this weekend, especially since someone is going to take the teen shopping for her Homecoming dress on Friday afternoon.

Me: Since the meeting was canceled this morning, when can we talk about the plans for Friday (and the weekend)?
Her: Tonight will be great. I say 8:30 PM sounds good. Thank you ok.
Me: I think I may still be at choir practice at 8:30, but can let you know when I get home from that.
Her: Ok. No problem. It's cold today.
Me: Actually feels pretty awesome for November 10!
(a bit of time passes that includes me going outside in my long-sleeve shirt and jeans)
Me: Ok, you are right, it IS cold, but still better than snow!
Her: Ha ha, you have a great day. Stay warm and smile. PS You are an awesome person and I thank you for being the person you are and that is a person who goes out of their way for others. I thank you for everything you have done for my children and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Thanks. (and then she did the thing that makes my stomach churn and texted "mwah" at the end...blech!)
Me: Just doing what God has called me to do :) You're welcome.
Her: Wow, that's right. He has a plan for us all and I'm thankful the girls are with you and you only.


Again, I am going to continue to protect myself and keep my guard up since she can change her tune at any time without notice. However, her gratitude appears sincere and being thanked by the mother of your foster children is probably not something that happens every day. So, I will allow those words to help fill me up and remind me that I am doing a good job...such a good job that even their mom notices how much I care about her children. I'm not so sure what to make of the "the girls are with you and you only" part of that last text, but am not going to analyze it too much (probably shouldn't analyze the words of someone who uses zeros for o's ;) )

The teen is making plans for their "homecoming"/formal dance that is on the 20th. Last night, she said that she and her friends will be going to dinner before the dance. I asked if she would just go there from a visit or just stay with me. She said probably just stay with me. I was VERY surprised that she responded with that (and will not hold her to it if she changes her mind) and it's actually kind of sad that she will get ready for this dance in my home rather than in her mom's. She turns 16 three days after that and I offered to let her have an "after-party"/slumber/birthday party. She hasn't decided yes or no, but I think that would be very fun :) She is so sweet (most of the time...teenage girls...ha! ;) ) and I love being able to share life with her during this "season".

Well, I'd better get the little one up from her nap and pick the teen up from school.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails