I took today and tomorrow off work so I could attend activities at my "Alma Mater", a Mercy High School. I'm really big on traditions (probably because I was raised Catholic and had the opportunity to attend a school whose foundation is also tradition). One of the traditions I love to celebrate is Mercy Day. Even when I was away at college and when I lived on the East Coast, I remembered this day and celebrated it as I could. The actual "Mercy Day" is tomorrow, but I'm writing about it tonight in case I get busy tomorrow.
Today we had an all-school "reunion" Mass and Brunch and tomorrow is Mass and a play put on by the seniors. I am looking forward to that because each year the class portrays the story of Catherine McAuley in their own unique way. None of the plays are the same. Maybe I'll get a picture or two to post tomorrow (not that it REALLY matters because I'm the only one who reads my blog!)
Here is a little history about the day:
September 24, 1827
Feast of our Lady of Mercy: the House on Baggot Street opens as a school for poor young girls and a residence for homeless girls and women. Anna Maria Doyle and Catherine Byrn move in and begin works of mercy.
On the 24th of September every year, 11,000 Sisters of Mercy and their friends and colleagues around the world celebrate Mercy Day. This is the day on which Catherine McAuley first opened the House of Mercy in Baggot Street, Dublin, Ireland and dedicated it to Our Lady of Mercy.
No comments:
Post a Comment