Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Senior Year









The teen started her Senior year on Thursday. During the past week, she has stayed the night at my house as many nights as she has stayed at hers. I think this is an okay arrangement for the time being. I love having her here and love that she feels comfortable here. We have both come a long way in the nearly 27 months that we have known each other. She is looking at college scholarships and has dreams of attending the University in a nearby city. Of course, she needs to bump up her ACT score to do that as well as boost her GPA, but she is acting very determined to stay focused and organized. She plans to continue working, but I have reminded her that school is her top priority (she had to pay $1100 to get started and will have to pay monthly tuition as well as her monthly Internet bill so she can do her homework at her house). She often has to take a cab home from work which is not cheap. I'm hoping that God continues to bless me with health and hours at work so I can help her financially if it starts getting tough to manage school and work (and her crazy mom).

I am so proud of her! She is excited to be starting her Senior year with all her friends. Her mom left her (and me) in limbo for over 3 months with the threat of her having to change schools and start over...not cool. She has a great advisor and everyone at the school is excited to see her back. Her school is all girls, so each Senior is paired with a Freshman "little sister". The last photo is from locker decorating (her little sister is "Keeley" and she got the polka dotted paper from my house :) She was pretty proud of it.

The first two pictures are from when she and I took my parents' Japanese student (a 17-year-old who stayed with them for a week) Downtown to one of our favorite places--feeding the ducks/geese. They swarmed us and it was a fun time. We also walked around Downtown and met up with the teen's friend and their "little sisters". I'm glad the teen helped me keep her entertained. She helped me last year when they had two students too :)

The other pictures are from when my dad, sister, and I took the Japanese student and my two nephews to the Zoo. It was a little warm and we walked the whole thing (and it's a big zoo!!) I was thankful to have the day off so I could join them. My first nephew is at a really fun age and loves hanging with his aunt (he thinks I'm fun :) ).

Tonight, I get to go to a cousin's wedding. My mom "forced" me to go shopping with her this morning so she could buy me some "nicer" dresses. I don't buy fancy/expensive stuff (and I guess since she bought, I still technically don't). It is kind of fun to have something new to wear. Then, she, my sister and I got pedicures and our hair done. Of course, the lady didn't listen to me. All I wanted was for her to wash it, dry it, and pull the front into a twist or braid to keep it out of my face. She did curls and poofed it up high in the front and kind of poofy in the back too. Thankfully, my sister went to cosmetology school, so she is going to fix it before the wedding tonight.

I've been really bad at keeping up with the blog, but it's been busy with work and taking care of the teenager (and the Japanese student this week too). I'm still set to open up my home to foster placement calls come September, so we shall see what happens with that...

Until the next time...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails