Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Two Years

Today marks TWO YEARS since the first night "the girls", "M & L", "the teen and the toddler/little one" stayed at my house. When they came, it was after being in a foster home for six months. So, I didn't have to deal with the "first night shell shock" that I'm expecting could happen with a new placement. I was told it would be a short placement (or maybe I just "assumed" it would be?)...but, as the story goes, it turned into 16 months filled with craziness and they went home just over 8 months ago.

The little one was a tiny not quite 3-year-old when they first came to live here. She turned three AND four here and will be turning five this summer. We spent a lot of time together the first 11 months because my sister watched her while I worked and I had her on my days off. She was always well-behaved and I was SO lucky to be able to take her anywhere I needed to go (even to meetings at work and with me to work out at Curves!) She's still really fun, although it does sadden me a bit that she hasn't matured at all in the 8 months she has been at home...I'm hoping she'll be going to some sort of pre-school program this fall to help with that.






The teen was 15 1/2 years old and about to be a Sophomore in high school. Now she is about to be a SENIOR and taking her ACT this Saturday. She was mostly quiet except when she was singing. She has come SO far in her confidence and self-esteem (even though her "old self" does come out more than I'd like to see :( ). She worked really hard to catch up to her peers in school, trying to fill in the gaps from a "messy" childhood (that she still refuses to discuss/admit). Now, she and I "hang out" all the time. We both love going to baseball games. We love watching SVU and Pretty Little Liars (and whatever other random shows we can find). We listen to the same music (she listens to other stuff too, but will listen to my iPod lots too). We both love her/my high school.










These girls are so amazing...and I am so blessed to have had them placed into my life two years ago. "They" told me that I'd know when I was ready/when the placement was right...and they were SO right!

I have a lot of other things on my mind/in my heart at this point 8 months after reunification with the ongoing "drama", but for now, I will leave it at this. I am blessed...and now it's time to pick up the teen from work :)

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails