Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Living a Fairy Tale

Come Monday, the teen will have been here for four straight weeks (besides 3 "random" nights she went home). I LOVE having her here with me and we have been having a lot of fun. We've been to the Zoo, on a walk Downtown, to a baseball game (that went until 12:17 AM...now that's love since I had to be at work by 7 that morning), out to eat, watched movies and TV shows, sunbathed, shopped...








...but, eventually (Wednesday??), her mom is going to come home...and eventually, "someone" will have to figure out where she will be attending high school for her senior year...and determine the "living situation" for the rest of the summer with her work schedule.

She refuses to talk about "the future"...AT ALL.

To be honest, I have avoided it for the first couple of weeks because I like this "fairy tale life" as much as she does, but decided I better suck it up and try to talk about it with her (seeing my therapist this past Monday may have something to do with that...she's a little "worried" about me). I feel like I tried EVERYTHING this week to get her to talk about it. I told her that we can't avoid it (which she firmly said she wasn't doing and put up her wall). I shared with her that I haven't forgotten about the sh*t hitting the fan earlier this year and reminded her how awful that was for both of us. I let her know that I'd really rather not go through that again. I even used the "we're living in a fairy tale" line and still...nothing. All I got was that she "didn't need to talk about anything"...alrighty then.

So, she's going to keep on living in this fairy tale world where all is well and I'm taking good care of her (ahem...spoiled) while not addressing any of her concerns about changing schools and going back to living with her mom full-time. I suppose I'll continue to join her as much as I can while guarding my heart by the reality that the "happily ever after" probably isn't going to be the way I'd like it to be written (while also still not giving up hope)...yeah, it's tough, but I'm trying!

Her mom has texted me twice in the 10 days she has been gone...that's two more times than I was expecting, so I'm going to be okay with that (it's easier to live in the fairy tale without having to stress out about talking to her anyway...ha!) I believe she has been checking in with the teen most days though (as a mom should...I call her two or three times while I'm at work if she's here...ha!)

It's been nice to have someone here to help keep me busy and keep me company. I know it will be tough when she goes home...especially not knowing when she'll be back/what "the plan" is.

Right now my fairy tale life involves chips, salsa, baseball, blogging, and beer while I wait for her to get off work :)

Good night.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails