Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Toe Talk

Warning, this is a post about toes/feet...if you don't like feet, or pictures of them, you probably should stop reading ;) I'll start with a picture of the little one to give you a chance to hit the back button or "mark read" or whatever you need to do ;)


Monday was her first day of day care/pre-school. She is in a room with 2 and 3 year olds. She had a great time. :) When she came home, she told me she watched Spongebob at school...seriously?! I thought she was mistaken, so I asked on Tuesday and much to my dismay, they seriously did "during transition" because "the boys like it". I think I should have done a little more research, but she likely won't be there too long and it was more for socialization than anything. Yesterday, I worked, so my mom dropped her off and my dad picked her up. I called my parents' house around 5:15 and my dad said she'd been crying since she got picked up. I spoke to the teen and she thought the little one had a fever. I talked to her on the phone for a little while. I called the day care and they said she didn't really want to play and sat on a bench. I'm not surprised that she would sit on a bench by herself rather than play with the other kids. The teen called me at work shortly after 6 to let me know her temperature was 103.5 and that she was going to give her a "tepid" bath and some Tylenol. I tried to leave work early since I really didn't want her to have to be the mother here. I was only taking care of one patient, so it could have worked except she was a patient with extensive history and a mom who was super particular (and annoyed with our "lack of communication") so giving report to one person who would give report 45 minutes later to someone else was not in anyone's best interest. I knew the teen could do it, she likely has done it many times...more than she should for sure! So, I called and checked a few times during that last hour and a half of work and my mom called to check on her too.

The little one's temp came down nicely with Tylenol and she never had another fever. I kept her home from school today (as you are "supposed" to) even though she was acting completely fine. Her only complaint was a stomach ache. I am taking her tomorrow to get an H & P before she gets her dental work done next week (FINALLY! 6 months later!) So, I guess they can check her out then and make sure there isn't anything else wrong with her (and clear her for day care so I can take her after the appointment!)

I got a call from the Service Coordinator this afternoon that the girls' mom is going out of town for "about a week"...are you keeping track?! Again, this was to be the girls' weekend to stay the night (the third one she has canceled/postponed...again, are you keeping track?!) I am scheduled to work on Saturday and Sunday and the teen has a conference in the morning on Saturday. So, the little one was to spend the weekend there, the teen could do whatever she wanted and all was going to be well. Oh, I should know better than to have "best laid plans". In the next breath, she said that their mom would move into a bigger place when she gets back and then they will go home "by May". She said she was excited about this. I had many emotions and none of them was "excitement"...but that is that and it isn't over until it is over. I wish my agency worker wasn't on vacation :(

Okay, now for the toe part of this post ;)

I have horrible bunions.


Thankfully, the bunions rarely hurt.


This toenail, however, definitely hurt...
and was oozing nasty stuff for about 5 days...
until I went to the doctor on Tuesday.


So, today, I removed the nail polish,
went to the doctor, and had a portion of my toe nail removed.


They wrapped it really nicely for me :)
(The additional Band-aid is from the woman who watched the little one for me :) )

I have now changed it to a smaller bandage. I tried taking a picture of "the finished product" when I changed it, but none of them turned out (are you breathing a sigh of relief?! ;) ) I've been taking ibuprofen and tylenol since I'm a complete baby, but that is helping. They did two nerve blocks and then some additional numbing and I survived with music, deep breathing, and a little bit of conversation. I did ask to keep the nail...at least for a day or two ;) The nail was grown really far into my skin and had sharp edges which was what caused the inflammation and draining. They killed that part of the nail bed so it will not (or should not) grow back.

And that, my friends, was my excitement for the day.
Good night.


1 comment:

The Pittsburgh Hites said...

okay so i'm late, but ewwwww, your poor toe!! Greg's big toes do the same thing, but he just pulls off the nail and then whines about it for a couple days (esp. when the kiddos tromp on them)
Glad that L is adjusting, but wishing you had more news about the honestly of what their mom is up to. Hugs friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails