Work has picked back up, but now it is SUPER busy...no happy medium for us! We have been full and having to work short-staffed and/or have people work extra shifts. It really is crazy how that happens. Having kids makes it a bit of a challenge to pick up extra shifts! I was, however, able to split a shift with someone on Sunday so I didn't have to get someone to watch the girls and still get extra hours. I was so busy yesterday (I had patients on the complete opposite sides of the unit which people don't usually do and after three days of that, my body was just tired!) and didn't get home until late. On the bright side of that, my pay check this Friday will be nice AND the older one had started dinner by the time I got home :)
The little one and I ran errands this morning. We went to the hospital to drop some things off to my A-team girl's mom. A is really sick and it's very sad to see her mom/my friend hurting like this. I suppose that is part of what goes on when you work with chronically sick kids, but even nearly seven years into this, it doesn't get any easier.
I also talked to the caseworker this morning and have a feeling the girls aren't going to be going back with their family this month. I guess my naive, glass half-full self was under the impression that things were better and preparing myself to say good-bye. However, their mom hasn't called in a week and has been out-of-town for two. I know she is with her family who needs her too which may be her "saving grace" and I'm trying to stay positive for the girls' sake, but I have this pit in my stomach. I cried at an appointment today (not my counselor or spiritual director...caught THAT woman by surprise...ha!) because I'm really sad for them. I suppose I should have known all this going into the foster care system, but I guess I didn't prepare myself as well as I thought. I guess maybe I tried to prepare myself to let kids go back to a place that wasn't 100% perfect, but not really for the disappointment that comes when they DON'T go back when you think they will. Of course, I'm not saying they NEED to go because I LOVE having them here, but it does make me sad their mom is missing out on being with her AMAZING girls.
While I was crying at my appointment, the older one was cleaning my house. She cleans ALL the time! Apparently it provides some kind of therapy for her (I'd much rather blog, read blogs, or sleep!) which is good for me :) I have a room that is a disaster (a pit, actually...ha!) that is supposed to be an office/scrapbooking room but has never been used for that. When I came home, she had not only made it so you could WALK in there, she also vacuumed and organized all of my scrapbooking supplies. I couldn't believe she did that for me...and, had I not used up my tears at my appointment, I probably would have cried on the spot at her thoughtfulness. Of course, if it becomes a usable room, she can do her homework there! There are a lot of things in there that she can't take care of, so I'll have to spend some time during the next couple of days/weeks to help her.
Well, I have a double-header softball game, so I'd better get a couple of things done before that...including eat dinner. My going back to work has definitely put a damper on our healthy eating and the older one had to resort to Chef Boyardee for lunch since I haven't cooked in a while!
Until the next time...
1 comment:
oh dear. I know you love them Amanda, and I am sad that everything is not working out for them. I know in your heart you would keep them forever if you could, but you are real about the fact that they have a mom and she IS missing out on this. Just remember what a great thing you are doing, providing them with a HOME while they need it.
Praying things straighten out, and that Miss A starts to improve!
Post a Comment