Last night was SO much fun, but it did make for some tossing and turning and a couple wild dreams (gotta love wine, right?!) The first time I awoke to the sounds of a thunderstorm was in the 5:00 hour and I woke up many times until I finally got up a little after 7 to get ready for the march of dimes walk. I remained optimistic that the rain would pass before the walk was scheduled to begin at 10 (I didn't think the forecast showed that it was to rain ALL day!)
As I was pulling out of my garage to go pick up my friend, I was greeted by a giant crash of thunder and pouring down rain. I sat there on my driveway for a minute until this downpour passed. Surely, this will blow over...I have been waiting for this day for MONTHS!
It had settled into a sprinkle by the time I got to my friend's house (she only lives a couple miles away). We picked up coffees and were on our way. It was about 20 miles from where I live to the walk (requiring using the "dreaded" highway...those of you who actually know where I live know that being frightened of the highway here is rather amusing). Not sure if I have mentioned this on my blog, but I REALLY do not enjoy driving. I ride with someone else any chance I get! (My lack of enthusiasm for driving COULDN'T have anything to do with things like this, right?! ha ha!)
The drive started off fairly well, cruising right along and doing a little chit-chatting. Then came more flashes of lightening, crashes of thunder, and sheets of rain came pouring down. My friend kept saying to me "you are still between the lines, you are okay"... And then, it started hailing. Yes, hailing. The visibility went to crap (and again, remember I have a little bit of depth perception issues as it is...right?!) and it was SO not fun for a while. And yes, still remaining somewhat optimistic about this whole walking plan.
By the time we reached the walk site at 9:00, the rain had pretty much stopped. It wasn't really that chilly and I thought it would be really nice to go for a walk. We walked around, grabbed some free stuff, ate some food (that topic will be discussed in a later paragraph), and I checked out the t-shirts of the other family teams who were there (wish I would have taken more pictures, but that may have been kind of weird...we didn't stay long enough to see if there was a t-shirt design contest). It didn't really dawn on me until after the start time had passed and the emcee welcomed us to the event that we were not ACTUALLY going to walk. She said because we were still in a severe weather watch, it would not be safe to go for a walk. Okay, that makes sense, but I was REALLY looking forward to going for a walk...especially since I have strayed from my attempts at healthier eating the past um, not sure how long!
So, since we were not walking, and didn't have any kids to do activities with, we got more food. I had a hot dog, a couple cookies, some chips, and an ice cream bar. Did I mention that I had a donut when I got there and a coffee on the way? And that this was all in less than a 2 hour period of time?! Yeah, crazy. Definitely could have used a walk at that point!
On the way back, we decided to check out this touristy thing that neither of us had ever been to. It ended up being at the end of a VERY hilly GRAVEL road...again, not a big fan of driving and this was pretty much as nerve-wracking as driving through hail on the highway. The place didn't open until noon and it was only 11:30, so home we went.
I was at home on my couch by noon where I spent the rest of the day until "family dinner" at 6. It was still raining then, and I am pretty sure it is still raining now (although I haven't heard any thunder for a while!) So, even though the past two days have been stay inside rainy days, that did not translate into days spent inside being productive even though there is always a chance a friend COULD stop by at any time...
Well, my computer is being kind of slow even though I attempted to install a new anti-virus (my old one expired, but now the new one won't work because someone the old one is still at least semi-activated...enough to not allow the new one to work...I know very little about computers!...enough to be "dangerous" I guess!) So, I was going to post a picture or two from today, but am getting a little bit impatient. I DO have tomorrow off, so maybe will do it then (my friend and I were joking that "someone" could photoshop us into the BIG picture...only for us of course because who ELSE would want that?! ha ha!)
So, it was a wet day. A wild adventure. A high calorie/low exercise day. A nerve-wracking experience (yeah, before I even got dressed I nearly fell down the stairs when my sock got stuck on something...thank goodness for a very sturdy railing and strong arms!)
All this and TOMORROW is Monday...good thing I have the day off or that could be a not very good thing!
Well, I think I will head to bed. Of course I am not really tired considering I slept the entire day, but I am thinking about reading one of the MANY books on my bookshelf that I purchased but never read.
My first full weekend off in two months...maybe I should take weekends off more often to spread out the excitement a little :o)
Good night!
1 comment:
You crack me up! Sorry i've been off and on so much this weekend, it was BUSY yet again! On top of it, my oldest niece walked with me yesterday, and then her little sister stowed away to come home with us! I promise I'll be in touch this week and we'll start making plans for Chicago!!
Hope today was better!
-Ging
Post a Comment