Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lessons from Television

Yesterday was another slow day at work (three times in a row it was that way...I better be prepared the next time I work because it definitely won't stay that way forever!) I like those days when I can spend time visiting with the families (and also "chatting" with my co-workers...that doesn't always happen!) I'm not sure if I would love being a counselor or social worker as much as I love being a nurse, but I definitely get to use some of those kinds of skills in my job! I have learned a lot by observing and listening in terms of what kinds of things help in times of crisis, and what definitely does not. I'm sure this is how I end up an emotional wreck at times (and also why I NEED to journal!), but it feels "right" when I can pour my heart and soul into my work...and then I REALLY enjoy my days off by spending them on the couch or doing things that do not involve thinking! :o)

Yesterday I was able to use my observations of the differences between men and women and spent quite a bit of time talking to the mother of one of my patients. It cracks me up that I was giving "relationship advice" seeing as I the mistakes I have made are probably why I'm content remaining single for now! However, I tend to think that I do pretty well from the outside looking in. I also gave advice about good communication which also is pretty funny considering I am not so good at that in my own life...prime example being that I made a number of remarks under my breath on Sunday and made some ugly faces in response to the "Easter dinner issues" but never outright mentioned to my family that it was kind of hurtful that they did not feel they could wait for me to eat dinner (tomorrow night we are going out to dinner at 7:00 since my sister has to work late...go figure) Anyway, maybe the advice I was able to give her will help me in my own life now that those words have come out of my mouth :o)

I'm a huge fan of the television show Medium. Not sure exactly why, but I just LOVE it (even though sometimes it creeps me out since I live by myself!) Last night, the episode started and ended with a really cool quote. I am glad I had it on DVR so I could "rewind" a bunch of times in order to get it right. The episode was about time. The main character had a dream that made her want to go back in time to change something in order to fix something that was going to happen in the future. When she went back to try and make that change, it messed up many other events that were going to occur in a negative way. I suppose a lesson there is you can't change the past, but there are choices that can be made NOW to affect what happens in the future. Since this was a television show where the main character has "visions", she was able to make a "real-time choice" that prevented the unfavorable future event to happen. Obviously, that isn't EXACTLY possible in real life, but I do think choices I make today definitely could change the way things are weeks, months, years from now.

I went on a walk with my friend today, and she actually mentioned a book she saw on The Today Show. I didn't even mention this episode of Medium, but it definitely fits with the "lesson" I learned from that. The book by Suzy Welch is called 10-10-10. The "gist" of the book is a guideline for decision making and the process starts with a question. "Given my question, what are the consequences of each of my options in ten minutes? In ten months? In ten years?" (or "in the heat of the moment, somewhat later, and when all is said and done"). Interesting similarity to my thoughts from last night...

I actually have been in the midst of making a somewhat difficult choice. Difficult in a sense that it involves doing something I have not done very often in my life. I have not believed in "coincidences" for a while now and think the television show, the book, the conversation with my friend all came at the perfect time. I know what I need to do. What I want to do is a huge opportunity for growth in many aspects of my life, and is sure to be an unforgettable experience. And, after utilizing the 10-10-10 concept, I still think it is "right". The ten minutes may be a little painful for others to handle, but I think some things just are... For me, I'm pretty certain it will be a "super fun" 10 minutes, make for something terrific to look back on 10 months from now, and quite possibly laughing at myself 10 years from now for having any sort of reservations about the idea because I can't imagine it not happening.

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised at how my "Lessons from Television" turned out...I wasn't sure I had that many "deep thoughts" in me...ha ha!

"Time’s priceless, yet it costs us nothing.
You can do anything you want with it, but you can’t own it.
You can spend it, but you can’t keep it.
And once you’ve lost it, there is no getting it back, it’s just…gone."
Medium…April 13, 2009

Good night.

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

That is a good lesson, indeed. It kinda reminds me of the concept that if you sneeze in the midwest, it will knock down a butterfly in Africa. Basically, when you sneeze, the force of your achoo'ing has SOME impact on the air around you.... which in turn might cause dust mites to flutter... which in turn might affect a bee sitting on a flower somewhere, which in turn makes the bee move and his wings create more propelling movement and it makes the hair on a girraffee's head sway and so on and so on and so on. At some point, your sneeze freaks somebody else (indirectly) who might accidentally step on a butterfly as a consequence. Its a long saga, this is only a patchwork of it. Youre right. Decisions you make can affect the future. The past also affects your decision for the present. I feel like I am mumbling incoherently!!

Laurie in Ca. said...

I am so thankful that we have the second chance always to make good decisions and choices today that will affect our future. We can't change the past but we sure can learn from it. I try to watch Medium but I fall asleep every time I get comfy on the couch with my blanket:) Must be my age right? I love you girl and I still pray when I think of your friend from Curves. I pray she is making it through.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails