Yes, that is MY ugly hand, chewed off nails, and poor attempt at photography. And yes, I DID get proposed to and was told that we were not just "engaged", we are MARRIED...
Okay, I should probably tell the WHOLE story...too bad I am kind of tired but hopefully will be able to tell this story the way it ought to be told :o)
So, a little over a month ago, I started taking care of this little boy who was really sick. Even though he couldn't really communicate when I first was his nurse, I could tell he liked me. As his condition improved, he communicated in different ways starting with giving a "thumbs up" when asked if I was his girlfriend (to be fair, he did have more than one of them) During the past two weeks he has started to talk more, although his memory is not the greatest. Apparently, multiple times he has asked his family for $10 "so I can buy Amanda a ring"... It made me laugh but mostly I thought they were pulling my leg or putting crazy ideas like that in his head because it is funny.
This morning, I noticed he had a ring on his left hand that was not there on Saturday. Someone mentioned it and he just smiled but didn't say much. A little before noon, his mom arrived and came to talk to me. She told me he had something to give me. She assured me that this was HIS doing and all HIS idea...and said I should say "yes" (I made sure she wasn't going to send me to jail or anything like that...ha ha!). So, I went back to his room, bringing another nurse and the tech with me because they knew what was going on.
He gave me this huge smile, pulled out this box, opened it and said "will you marry me?" After I said yes, he was just beaming with a smile from ear to ear. It really was the sweetest thing ever (the two girls said it kind of brought little tears to their eyes...funny!). I suppose that is how one would want their proposal to go...he truly was SO happy and excited but also serious (of course, that whole 21 year age difference would work a LOT better if I was like 60 or something...ha ha!) It truly was adorable and definitely an unforgettable memory. Knowing that his condition doesn't have a long survival rate statistically speaking, I think that makes it even more special.
So, I wore my ring the rest of the day, showing it off (you would NOT believe how many people actually thought I was serious when I said I got married...come ON people! This is ME we are talking about and did you take a close look at the ring?! Although, I must say it is pretty darn good for one of those little quarter machines...it isn't even adjustable!)
The rest of the day was pretty crazy and I was SO ready to come home (after stopping by mom and dad's for hamburgers and left-overs from yesterday of course!). I woke up with kind of a sore throat and don't feel that great right now (yes, that is definitely a sundae cone sticking out in the picture with the ring...God forbid I put it down long enough to take a picture...and I probably would feel a bit better now had I skipped that...sure the "Peeps" didn't help either). I hardly EVER get sick (knocking on wood) so think I will sleep in rather than going to the talk I wanted to go to that starts at 8:00 since I work on Wednesday and Thursday and would rather not call in sick.
The baby got discharged from the hospital yesterday, but had to get readmitted today. My friend isn't sure how long he will have to stay this time since he has an infection and needs antibiotics.
Exciting day...but I am REALLY tired (I guess that's pretty typical for your wedding day, or so I've been told...ha ha!)
Good night!

3 comments:
How sweet!! How cute!!! How special!! :) I couldn't see the picture of the ring, but I can just imagine it. You really made that boy's day!! :)
Yes, the picture did not show up but I think this is so sweet. How does it feel to wake up this morning a married woman?:) You sure made this little boys day. Now lets hope the other nurses don't show up with a ring from him too, hmmmm! Have a great day Amanda. Pray for Stellan, I am sure you are already.
Love and Hugs, Laurie
I was able to see the picture today.... oh a gold band and all! AW how sweet!!!!
Post a Comment