I definitely enjoyed sleeping in this morning and barely made it to Curves in time to do my 30 minute workout before they close at 11...I know, that means I didn't roll out of bed until nearly 10 and then messed around on blogs/facebook until I REALLY needed to go if I wanted to get a work out in!
Not that I absolutely NEEDED that workout. Well, actually I'm sure I DID need it, but it also was time to mow my lawn. It doesn't seem like it has rained that much, but definitely enough to make my grass green (some of it anyway). I got a new mower and think it will take some getting used to. My old mower was heavier but allowed me to make turns easier. I live in a corner lot on a hill so my lawn is not very easy to mow. My body is already aching, but it could also be that it has been at least six months since the last time I mowed! It was close to 80 degrees when I mowed, so I worked up a nice little sweat!
This afternoon, I went and visited my high school friend and her two boys. They were both sleeping when I got there. So, she and I grabbed a beer and sat on their back porch soaking up some of the summer-like sun. It was pretty fun drinking a beer in the afternoon (she had some kind of Samuel Adams blackberry flavored beer, so it did feel "summery"). I'm not really ready for summer to hit quite yet, but I think one day is okay :o) It was very fun to hang out and visit. Her baby is two months old today! The poor little guy has some pretty bad reflux, but it hasn't stopped his growing...he's a little chubby boy which is SO cute :o)
From her house, I went and met my parents and seven of their friends at the horse races. Ten people is a little crazy considering I am used to going with my dad and "studying" the forms with him. It was fun anyway I guess except we were just "picking" and I lost all my cash (only $18 so not a TON by any means...however, since my food order got completely screwed up, I got dinner for free, so that was a nice little balance!)
Since this is my blog and no one in my family reads it (that I know of), I am going to vent a little bit about my mother. I love my mom. Most of the time she is SO nice that whenever anyone tells me how nice I am, my response is often that my mom is WAY nicer than me. However, sometimes some really not nice things come out of her mouth which always surprises me. This week, a couple of them were directed at me... Earlier this week, I was sharing with her some of the things I had planned for the weekend with my friend from Curves. Not only did she have to provide commentary questioning the location of our events, but she also felt the need to say something to the effect that there was some kind of co-dependence going on. She must have seen the look on my face or watched my jaw drop or something because she tried to retract her statement and mumbled something about us being friends or needing to have friends or something. Uh, YEAH, we are friends. We hang out. We have fun. Seriously, totally inappropriate comment. Who ARE you and what did you do with my mom?!
Then, tonight, she kind of got what was coming to her after an equally as uncalled for comment. I know their friends very well (most of them have kids my age who went to my same elementary school). I was telling them about my plan to go to Vegas in six months to celebrate my 30th birthday. My mom piped in to say that she and my dad were planning to go at that time and they "decided" that I could come along. This isn't the first time she has mentioned this "plan" in that way. I think it rubs me the wrong way even more because two years ago they did, indeed go to Vegas with my sister and her then fiance and I was told that I was not "allowed" to go with them. It was very hurtful because I know that it was all my mom and my dad didn't have anything to do with it (my dad and I are good "gambling partners" and have a ton of fun!). So, my (
I suppose that makes me even MORE excited to be doing something next month that my mother may not necessarily "approve" of (Laurie in Ca...no worries, it is NOTHING bad...VERY fun actually! I will share details once everything has been finalized.). A nice little reminder that I am indeed a grown up who can make her own adult decisions without consulting her parents. And, my mom obviously is not "perfect"...still love her though :o)
Well, I think I have a busy day tomorrow including a walk or two and a wine tasting. I probably should fit in a little time for house cleaning, but am definitely going to enjoy these days off!
Good night.
2 comments:
5 days off, woohoo!! I have that coming to me next weekend! I can hardly wait.
I don't know whats up with your mom, but sometimes it happens. Your mom is still human, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.
My dad makes that kind of comment A LOT. One time he was planning to give a party on his hilltop house in Laguna Beach-- but I noticed there wasn't much parking for his friends. I asked him what he was going to do about the parking situation and he said "not my problem! They want to come, they can figure out where to park" I couldn't believe my ears. How obnoxious is that?! Although this time it wasn't directed at ME as it usually is, I still felt stung when he said that. I know this is way off your point, so I will shut up now:) Blackberry beer? I've got to try that. I don't like beer, but if it has fruity taste to it, I might...
You've been tagged!
Post a Comment